Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2003, 8:22 PM   #1

Default Obituary of a CoolPix 990

Yesterday, suddenly and without previous indication of illness, my two year old CoolPix 990 up and died.. Card is in place, batteries are bran new, Unity Digital auxillary battery pack is hot and plugged in. Still, nothing. No On/Off Switch response, Play mode does nothing, it's little screen is black and silent. Is there a Nikon Guru to consult, or should I just bury this baby and start shopping for a newer one? Any advice/help would be deeply appreciated. Please email me

Grieving and perplexed,

Art in Lake St Louis, MO

P.S. Last thing I did was plug in the USB cord and attach it to my computer to view/edit my files using Nikon View software. Message kept saying there was a connection error, to check my camera to computer connections and camera settings.
1deciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2003, 1:26 AM   #2
Administrator

Can only surmise that it died of brain failure. Sounds like the power chip is a goner. With the rapid dropping price of newer cameras and a probably costly repair - I would personally go for a new one but the choice is of course, yours.

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 6:31 AM   #3
NHL

Quote:
Card is in place, batteries are bran new, Unity Digital auxillary battery pack is hot and plugged in.
Have you tried to power the camera from AA (rechargeable or brand new alkaline) just to verify that its not the plug/power/cord/ battery pack?

You can also look for oxidation in the battery grip when inspecting the undercover http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...&highlight=995
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 7:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Have you tried to power the camera from AA (rechargeable or brand new alkaline) just to verify that its not the plug/power/cord/ battery pack?
That and everything else you can change: memory, batteries, AC power adapter, with/without USB connection in place, .... That is the high-tech trouble shooting technique: swap parts. The other thing to try is to leave the battery out of the camera for a few days - long enough that it would loose track of the date and time, e.g., reboot.

It isn't real likely that any of that will solve your problem, but they are cheap and easy so are worth trying.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 12:44 PM   #5

Sorry to hear of the demise of your Coolpix 990 ...

If none of the superb remedies previously posted
work, you might try selling the cp990 on Ebay for
"parts" (minus of course your batteries and memory
card). There are hundreds of 990 drivers still out
there that may go for it .

Just a thought...
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 5:41 PM   #6

Addendum...

You can go here if you want to purchase another for half what you paid for your first one

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....&PROD_ID=43694

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 6:11 PM   #7

If you buy a new cam, why not carry out a disection and autopsy to post some macro pics here? Some of us might be a bit Ghoulish about this sort of thing - seeing one's favorite cam in bits undressed, with its clothes off and everything photographed - poetic really!

If you can't get a price for bits - go where no other has gone before - get those jewellers screwdrivers and big magnifying glass out and fix the b***er! Work into the bowels, starting from the external power jack and battery terminals.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 8:38 PM   #8

Default Thanks to all who answered my CP990 Obituary

An autopsy, chronicled with digital photos of each step of disection. Hmmm. Neat idea, but I simply don't have the ambition to do that. I'll probably just enshrine it in a plastic display case, and put it next to one of my diecast models.'

Thanks again, Guys. I appreciate your willingness to help.

art
1deciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 10:49 PM   #9

I seem to remember some people talking about the power switch dieing on some models of the CoolPix line. It could just be that that is dead and nothing more. I'd search in the nikon forum here and see what you can turn up. With labor costs being what they are, it still might not be worth trying to fix, though.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2003, 7:09 AM   #10
NHL

The power switch in the CP990 has 3-positions, and they normally died through wear and tear 1 position at a time sequentially depending which mode one use the camera the most (A then Play, and finally M)... Rotating this power switch back and forth sometime bring the camera back to life, or rocking the lever, but is not reliable!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote