Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 20, 2003, 3:29 AM   #1

Default Is a UV filter a requirement

Hello all. I'm a newbie that just picked up my first camera and I have a quick question. I got a good deal on an Olympus C4000 and I was wondering if it is highly recommended that I pick up a UV filter. I read some posts about members using those filters and was wondering what exactly it will do for the pics, along with the longevity of the lens.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
hocuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2003, 9:52 AM   #2

I use a tube adaptor from Kenko.41-52mm with a UV filter from Tiffen.It is good protection for the lens.The reason I use that adaptor is more filters are available in 52mm and I get no vignetting.With this adaptor I need no step up ring.I have the C-5050 and I believe this will also work with the C-4000.

Ray

D490Z,C-5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 10:02 AM   #3

hocuz,

Check out my PBase.com page for the add-ons you can get for the C-4000:

http://www.pbase.com/hyunyu/addons

Good luck.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 10:15 AM   #4

Hyun,
I also bought the 41-43 adaptor,but found that a lot of filters were not available in that size and the ones that were available,were much more expensive.The 41-52 adaptor gives you a much larger field to choose from and less expense for adding filters etc.Besides I don't have to worry about vignetting when using more than one filter.Although the most I've used is two at once.

Ray

D490Z,C-5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 10:54 AM   #5

hocus

UV filters are more for protection of the lens than any other reason. You will need a tube adapter. I have a Kenco 41mm to 52mm like Ray. I leave it on at all times. I use it for filters and my Raynox Pro 1850 telephoto lens. www.2filter.com sells adapter tubes, filters, and lens.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 10:57 AM   #6

Default Re: Is a UV filter a requirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by hocuz
Hello all. I'm a newbie that just picked up my first camera and I have a quick question. I got a good deal on an Olympus C4000 and I was wondering if it is highly recommended that I pick up a UV filter. I read some posts about members using those filters and was wondering what exactly it will do for the pics, along with the longevity of the lens.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
What it does a protect the lens...would you rather get a fingerprint on your lens, or on an inexpensive removable filter that's easy to clean? As well, if the filter gets scratched or cracked it's easy to replace, but if you scratch your camera's lens it's very expensive to replace. As already mentioned, you'll need a filter tube too; those rings that look like threads on the end of the lens are just decorative. The tube has the added benefit of encasing your extending lens...some people have bumped their lens knocking it out of alignment and jamming it, meaning a trip to Olympus to fix it...a filter tube and a UV (or Skylight) filter is worth the small investment. After you can add other special effects filters and lenses.

As for what a UV filter does to the pictures, not much as the camera already has UV protection, and it isn't detrimental to pictures either. By eliminating UV it's supposed to "absorbs the Ultraviolet rays of the sun thereby reducing or eliminating distortion."* Most people just call it lens protection; I even had one on my 35mm film camera.

* source, http://www.expresscameras.com/uvfilter3.html
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2003, 2:18 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies. Looks like this is another thing I should pick up. When will this ever end???? I still have to pick up a camera bag, but I guess I should hold off on that until I get the filter to make sure the camera fits in the bag. Any recommendations on a bag that is not too big?
hocuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2003, 4:00 PM   #8

Default camera case

hocus,

Check the CASE LOGIC brand of cases. The one I have is an ideal size. It will hold the camera with the tube mounted. Even with the camera back to the bottom of the case with room to spare. The camera section has a pocket that will hold a mini tripod. It has two additional pockets for accessories. A holder
for six AA batteries. You can put more batteries under the
camera. The same section of the battery holder has two
net holders and a zippered pocket. The camera section and the
battery holder section are zippered. An additional pocket on
the outside is Velcro fastened. Has a shoulder strap and a belt
loop. Size is approx 6 1/2" high, 6 1/2" wide and 5" deep.
J Eachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:47 PM   #9

hocuz, check out this thread that Hyun posted...the LowePro Nova 1...nice bag for your C4000.

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7297
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote