Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 22, 2005, 1:50 PM   #1

I plan to shoot some indoor sports events, where the lightis almost good enough to shoot without a flash. However, Iam 1-2 stops too slow to freeze the motion using ambient light.

I will be using a Nikon D70s witha SB600 external flash.

The question is how best to set up the flash/camera to have the best balance? I would prefer to use as much of the ambient light as possible to capture the mood of the moment in the background (therefore I don't want to rely on full flash only). I will only have a limited time period to experiment at the venue ahead of the event I want to capture, so the more I know about the options available in advance, the better I can prepare.

For example, do I reduce flash output on the SB600? Or do I force the fill flash type function via the selection of the measuring field setup (centre weighting invokes fill flash, while spot invokes full flash)? I assume the night portrait setting may limit me too much in terms of other controls.

This is all amateur stuff, so I don't need it to be perfect, but like all enthusiasts, I would like to improve all the time! :-)

Any advice?

Vincent

Sundance kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2005, 2:04 PM   #2

a few things first

1. make absolutely sure that flash photography is allowed at the venue. Flashes are often very annoying to the athletes involved.
2. How close are you to the action? If you are going to be 60 feet away the flash will make little difference.

It sometimes becomes necessary to abandon the best ASA in these situations and shoot at 200 or 400 ASA. Make sure you have your white balance adjusted to the lighting conditions. You need to take advantage of the limited time available at the venue prior to the event. Often indoor sports lighting is real wierd and a cusrom white balance is often necessary.
sedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 2:05 PM   #3

I guess this message should have been in the Nikon DSLR section! Sorry!

Vincent
Old Nov 22, 2005, 2:09 PM   #4

Flash photography is allowed and done at the venues. Typical shooting distance will be 20-30 feet.

What can I expect if I reduce flash output by 1 stop?

Vincent