Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 22, 2005, 3:46 PM   #1

I do a lot of saltwater fishing and I am looking for a moderatley priced camera.

I am considering the Nikon D70S versus teh Canon Digital Rebel xt. Does anyone have any thoughts about which choice might be better. The Canon is a little cheaper.:?
trout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2005, 5:30 PM   #2

You'll have to be extremely careful around salt water. A potential solution is a watertight case, like the ones used for underwaster photography. These things aren't cheap, but then, neither are cameras. DSLRs are really computers with lenses on them. Just salt air can cause problems.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2005, 5:33 PM   #3

I understand. I have a friend who is a guide and photographer and he has told me which case to buy.

Do you have any thoughts about these two cameras?
Old Nov 22, 2005, 5:43 PM   #4

Or use a disposable camera.

Why not the Nikon D50?

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2005, 11:53 PM   #5

I have just gone througha process of selectingbetween the two and can add some thoughts:

1. The Canon sells with a low cost lens in the kit, which is certainlynot in the same class as the Nikkor lens which ships with theNikon kit. Where I live (in South Africa), the price difference on the lenses alone is approx $400!

2. If youcompare the Canon with a decent lens against the Nikon, the cameras are very close in terms of performance (you can find several reviews and comparisons on the net - including Steve's)

3. The main differences relate to ergonomics: the Nikon is bigger & heavier, but easier to hold;the menu structure and control of the camera via buttons are also significantly different. This becomes personal choice more than anything else.

4. I eventually chose the Nikon because I found it much more comfortable to hold. I found the menu's more logical for me (you might think different!) and I like the fact that more options can be set directly via the buttons/knobs than on the Canon. This means that while using the camera you are less likely to have to go into the menus to change a parameter.

I hope it helps!

Vincent
AVS_SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:11 PM   #6

Canon currently has a promotional rebate. The basic camera with lens is a little over $200.00 cheaper and they are offering an additional longer range lens with an additional discout. This is very attractive. Since I am a real novice, what is the significance to me in terms of the quality of the lens between the two?
Old Nov 28, 2005, 9:19 PM   #7

Hey Vincent,

I appreciate your follow up.

Nothing wrong with the Nikon d50, I wish I had one!

The Canon's menu system and controls are a little clunky, but I'm largely just setting the ISO and the shutter speed, mostly, so I get by.

The other thing I don't like about Nikons is they tend to have small, tunnel like viewfinders.

I have noticed the Nikon D50 seems to serve up nice, bright colors. I find the Canon's tend to lean towards blue. Fuji's tend to favor green. Just my subjective impression.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 6:32 AM   #8

Hi Terry

I like the Nikon D50 too, but here they sell it with a plasticky lens in kit form. I was able to get a nice deal on the D70s and went for it!

To Trout21, your question regarding the budget (read low-cost) lenses vs. the normal high quality (expensive) lenses is relevant. The lenses packaged with the 350D (Rebel XT) and the D50 are very light and flimsy. I assume that most of the lens elements are from plastic/resin, and that the housing make use of low cost materials. I have not seen any comments on durability, but my subjective feeling is that the low-cost lens will not last a "lifetime" before giving trouble.

If youevaluate some sample pictures, you will see that the quality of the low-cost lens will be fine for most holiday and family pictures (better than I expected given the feel of the lens). You will only notice the difference when taking identical pictures with two lenses (low-cost vs expensive). Then the better color renditioning and lower distortion of the expensive lense becomes apparent. This is more evident when using a test chart for the photograph than real life pictures.

So I guess that the low-cost lens is fine until you want to take special photographs. I opted for the expensive lens because I do want to be able to experiment without worrying about lens quality, and if I ever upgrade the body, I know the lens is already a good one.

Vincent
Sundance kid is offline   Reply With Quote