Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 23, 2005, 1:13 AM   #1

We had wedding pictures taken by a photographer who gave us the cd of the pictures. She used the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT. The photos have pixel width and height of 2000 x 1500. Is this the BEST this camera will produce? I am worried about printing 10x10 and 11x14 photos. Are we going to get a decent print? Any views would be appreciated. Did the photographer take so so pictures or great pictures for us? See photo here.... http://public.fotki.com/ConnieD/wedd...005_color.html

Thanks . Connie D
ConnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2005, 2:02 AM   #2

ConnieD wrote:
Quote:
We had wedding pictures taken by a photographer who gave us the cd of the pictures. She used the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT. The photos have pixel width and height of 2000 x 1500. Is this the BEST this camera will produce? I am worried about printing 10x10 and 11x14 photos. Are we going to get a decent print? Any views would be appreciated. Did the photographer take so so pictures or great pictures for us? See photo here.... http://public.fotki.com/ConnieD/wedd...005_color.html
2000x1500 is a reduced-size image; images taken at top resolution should be 3456 x 2304 pixels. Your photographer either reduced the size of the pictures when she gave them to you, or else she was shooting at lowered resolution. If she has full-sized images in her possession, maybe she expects you to go to her for prints. Was that part of the bargain?

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 8:49 AM   #3

my thoughts exactly...the deal was that we would get all photos on cd and take them where we wanted to go for printing... I had no idea she would be shooting at nothing but the best quality. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

ConnieD
Old Nov 23, 2005, 9:59 AM   #4

This is quite common in the wedding business. This is similiar to when photographers would provide the proofs to the customer. You have to understand that wedding photographers make a large part of their income from reprints. The photographer likely just resized the prints for the disc so he/she could insure income from any future reprints. Some photographers will provide full size image files as part of the deal, but that would likely be very expensive to compensate from possible lost revenue from reprints.

I am curious, did you use a professional?? I am surprised a pro would be using an amateur level camera (not that the XT is a bad camera). Also, you would have signed a contract...I'm sure the details regarding the photo Cd would be included in the contract language.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 3:45 PM   #5

Does the contract specify that you can make as many prints as you want? Does the contract say anything about going back to the photographer? Your second post suggests this, but I want to be explicit in asking this question.

What rjseeney is suggesting is what you got was a CD of proofs. And that you are expected to go back to the photographer for prints.

If they are just proofs than you have no right to print them (the copyright is owned by the photographer.) Then its end-of-story, you shouldn't do it. You would be breaking the law by printing them.

If you do have the rights to make the prints, I would contact them and ask them if they make a mistake. Did they burn the wrong images to the CD? Why are they so much smaller than the DRebel XT is capable of taking? Make it sound like it's an innocent mistake on their part (this is what I'd do, any ways.)

You will definitely have trouble making prints that large unless the images are of the highest quality. You'll get less than 150DPI (dots per inch) on the 10x10 where normally you want around 200-300 DPI. For the 11x14 you will have even less data per inch of print. Some images can be printed large with low DPI, but many can't. Things like detailed scenes with clothing texture don't print as well without a lot of data.

To get around this, you can enlarge the image in an editor. But to do that and have it still look good they would have to be very sharp to start with. If they were not, then the out of focus areas will look even worse.

The image you gave as an example (thanks for doing that BTW!!!) look reasonably sharp (it's hard to tell for sure when an image is reduced.) And they did a fairly good job with the exposure (which is not easy when someone wears white and the other wears black.) Why they choose to have the couple back lit seems a bit odd to me. It proces those rather unattractive hilights/white parts in their hair. But nothing can be done about that now (I didn't look at all the images, but I looked at a few.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 5:50 PM   #6

These are my daughters wedding pictures... I do not know what the contract says....other than what is on the professional photographers web site. http://www.harmonydesignsphoto.com/index.htm

which is here. I will be seeing my daughter this week end and will see the original cd. but from what I know from talking to the photographer that we get the cd... all copyrights to take them to any place we want for printing.... WE will be discussing the quality of the photos with the photographer I am sure.

Thanks for your thoughts...

ConnieD
Old Nov 23, 2005, 5:53 PM   #7

Thank you for your thoughts. We do have the rights to make prints...but I will ask the photographer if she made a mistake with putting proofs on a cd or the original photos that we were paying for. I think we should have been entitled to the full resolution of pphots and not a lesser quality... so we will go from there. Thanks so much for taking time to answer this. Connie D
Old Nov 23, 2005, 5:55 PM   #8

My guess is that the CD is a proof CD. Like mentioned, a lot of Wedding photographers do that now, usually at lesser resolution than that though. This should have be discussed with you by the photographer. I would simply ask. Find out the prices for prints from them and if they're too rich for your blood, offer to purchases your images.
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 6:04 PM   #9

What's the relationship between MegaPixels and MegaBytes? If you've got a 2000 x 1500 pixel image, that's 3MP, no? Is that the same as 3MB? Is that normal for a jpg image reduction? Also, say you capture in RAW. Do printers print in RAW or do you have to do a JPG or TIFF conversion first?
jpistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2005, 6:14 PM   #10

There is no direct correlation between MP and MB. There are so many variables that could have a 3MP image be anywhere from a few KB to tens of MB. There is no simple explanation of the two in my opinion. They each have an area when working with them that matters, but in my opinion, as far as images go, I want to know the pixel dimensions (MP).

RAW is an unfinished file format. A RAW file HAS to be processed to be able to print from it. RAW can be processed into many different file formats. Most used file formats from RAW are as you mentioned, JPEG and TIFF.
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote