Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 23, 2005, 10:56 PM   #1

I have a friend with a DSLR (Nikon D50) who had recentley discovered that the camera had lots of dark specks in all of his images. He sent it in for pro cleaning (under warranty)
What I'm wondering is how do you get dust on the sensor itself? Doesnt the Mirror and Shutter protect it while changing lenses (more specifically while the camera is off and the sensor is NOT charged)?
cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:36 PM   #2

On the Canon cameras the camera has a menu option which puts the camera into sensor cleaning mode. This flips the mirror out of the way.

I would suggest your friend read the manual for the D50. I bet it covers the proper procedure for cleaning, including what settings to make on the camera.

One thing to remember. If you do it yourself, do it carefully and do it with the right stuff. You can't clean it with just anything.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2005, 11:39 AM   #3

cyclonetrain wrote:
Quote:
What I'm wondering is how do you get dust on the sensor itself? Doesnt the Mirror and Shutter protect it while changing lenses (more specifically while the camera is off and the sensor is NOT charged)?
Dust can get into the body whenever the lens is off--it can even be generated by the friction involved in attaching/detaching some lenses (e.g., Canon kit lenses with plastic bases). Once dust is inside the body, it doesn't stay in one spot; it gets moved around (the mirror acts as a small fan), so when the shutter and mirror operate, the dust has plenty of chance to move from the outer part to back behind the shutter where the sensor is located. The only dSLR camera system with a dust-prevention function is the Olympus E-system, which has a special supersonic vibrator that very effectively vibrates dust off the sensor and onto a sticky strip (which is supposed to be replaced every two years or so).

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote