Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2003, 8:28 PM   #1

Default What camera to choose? Need advice!

Finally I decided to buy a digital camera. The most difficult thing came and I'm facing three cameras to choose from. They are HP 850, Fuji S602 and more expensive Minolta DiMAGE 7i. Please advice! Do I really need to spend extra $150 on Minolta or I will be satisfied with less expensive Fuji for example? HP an Fuji can be found for around five hundred bucks while Minolta retails for minimum of 650. What I really like in Minolta is its' manual zoom ring. Do I have to worry about pixels? I will be shooting primarily pictures to print on 4*6 paper. My another complain is shooting in the night. Which of them works better under low visibility and has more powerfull flash? Maybe you can advise me some other camera for around 5 hundred bucks with minimum 6x zoom? Thank you very much!
ulik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2003, 9:51 PM   #2
lg

For printing 4x6" prints, just about any 2MP or above camera will do nicely. I don't have any experience with the three you mentioned, but mine is one you might want to consider. It's one of the few cameras with a 10x zoom with image stabilization, and it has a focus assist light that will allow you to take sharply focused and properly exposed pictures in low light conditions, even in complete darkness up to 10 feet or so.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 12:10 PM   #3

I like the Fuji myself. It's a very good all round performer. Also consider the Oly 730, 720 or 700 with 10x zoom. The 2100 is no longer made but I believe people can get refurbs and second hand jobs. The 2100 is too bulky for my needs though.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 2:52 PM   #4

Thanks a lot! Now I'm choosing between Fuji S602 and Oly 730.. Though Fuji is a bit pricier I like it's compatible with compactflash cards (i have a bunch of them). So I'll probably stop with Fuji. I have a couple of questions to all you pros What does "manual pop-up flash" mean? Do I have to open it manually? My another question is about Fuji's 6MP capability. I'm just curious how does it work; if camera has only 3.2MP how can it produce 6MP images? I noticed that their's quality is not as good as actual 5 or 6Mp cameras produce. Thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2003, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
"manual pop-up flash
"

Yep, you press a button and up it pops.

Quote:
I'm just curious how does it work; if camera has only 3.2MP how can it produce 6MP images? I noticed that their's quality is not as good as actual 5 or 6Mp cameras produce.
It works using interpolation or up-sampling. Basically it sticks extra pixels into the picture. I've heard the Fuji 6mp interpolated images are as good as real 4mp jobs.

Personally I think it's a big hike in file size for a .8mp jump in qualty.

There are other better ways to interpolate images using for e.g. Genuine Fractals.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2003, 4:40 PM   #6

Thanks a lot for information! I finally ordered Fuji today