Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:07 AM   #1

I'm in the market for a new Digital Camera and one of the features I want is to be able to have the cam linked to my laptop and view the image live before I take the shot.

I don't know what this feature is called.

I'm looking in the 5MP and up range with decent zoom.

I'd appreciate and advice on what this feature is called or what to look for in a camera to see if it can be done. Also, I'd appreciate any model information that has this feature.....

Thank you....Ken:|
kwc1109b9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2005, 8:14 PM   #2

I belive that some of the Canon DSLRs can do it. So you might want to look on Steve's Digicams for a few reviews and see if they name the feature.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 1:53 AM   #3
E.T

KonicaMinolta A1 and A2 have at least that feature.... unfortunately they're discontinued models so finding those might be hard.

http://www.konicaminoltaphotoworld.c...pture/english/
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 4:05 PM   #4

Gidday

On the Canon S2IS it is called "remote capture" - not sure of any other models with the feature

This will explain what function you will get

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...hot_s2-review/

Cheers Dom

roxydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 10:31 PM   #5

For the most part, I've been a very happy owner of a Canon S2 IS for about five months. As roxydog said, the S2 IS does have a "remote capture" feature. I only first tried that feature a couple days ago and was somewhat disapointed with that function. Although it works just fine (the interface is a bit odd), the preview image is very small. The entire window is only about 400 x 605 pixels and is not resizable, leaving only about 320x240 for the preview image. There is an option to display the camera's output video, so if your PC has an S-VHS input, or you have a TV with an S-VHS input, that would be much better for previewing the shot. I've attached a sample of the "remote capture" window.
Attached Images

DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 6:21 AM   #6

Thanks for all the replys. With the video outputs, would I be able to view full screen?
kwc1109b9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:37 AM   #7

Breeze Systems (BreezeBrowser) used to make an enhanced one of these that got good reviews. DSLRs don't support this kind of thing...
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:20 PM   #8

kwc1109b9 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for all the replys. With the video outputs, would I be able to view full screen?
Yes, you could view the video out from the camera at full screen, although it would still be relatively low resolution - roughly 640x480. Still, that's a lot better than 320x240.

It just occured to me that if the camera is connected to the computer being used for the remote capture via USB 2.0, a higher resolution view might be available. I've only tested it on my laptop, which has only USB 1.1. That's only speculation - I didn't find anything to suport that in the ZoomBrowser manual.

I just took a look at Breeze Systems site. They have PSRemote v1.5 beta 3, which supports the Canon S2 IS. The free download will let you get the feel of it, but apparently won't allow you to save images. It costs $49. I'll give it a try later today.
DaveLundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 12:41 PM   #9

I'm assuming you just want to view the image the camera is seeing onscreen and snap the picture from the camera. Many cameras let you do that with an AV cable. Some come with one and others sell them reasonably cheaply if the camera has the connection. Not sure what adapter you need for input into the computer. I don't think most USB connections will allow you to see what the camera is seeing.

The people who would probably know the most about it are the people who shoot photos remotely from model airplanes and helicopters. Many output the camera input to a screen on the ground so they know what the camera is aimed at. You might ask here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote