Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 23, 2003, 6:04 PM   #1

Default Just got back from the store... a few questions remain...

Hi,

I just got back from a trip I've wanted to take for a while... to go see some cameras that I've considered up close and personal... I'm not buying without a test drive of sorts...

By the time I was done, two and a half cameras stood out... please chime in any additional information that you may have, or your opinions, etc... please don't let me be misinformed!!! :shock:

Olympus C4000
*Nice 4.0 Megapixels
*3x zoom can be increased with a 2x converter for about 200mm total zoom
*Point-and-shoot ablilities, or, I can control the aperature or shutter speed... it's my choice! :lol:
*It's small, but durable
*Has a strong (super) macro... very strong, actually
*ISO of 100, 200, or 400
*$325 new

Fujifilm S602
*Can record up to 6 megapixels, but usually only 3 megapixels (can someone explain the differences? What settings can I not use?)
*Amazingly strong macro
*6x zoom gets me around 200mm, and I can still add a 1.5x teleconverter for yet more zoom
*Has a full-blown auto feature for point-and-shoot
*I think there are ways to control all features (shutter speed, aperature, ISO... not sure how and the guy at the store said no (?))
*Lots of ISO settings to 1600 (with reduced size to 1MP at 800 (?)
*Larger, but still easy to hold in my overgrown teenager hands
*$450 new

Sony Mavica CD400
*4.1 megapixels
*about 200mm zoom
*writes to a CD (which makes it slower?)
*has only a large LCD display for my use
*somewhat bulky... supplies are bulkier, too, obviously
*few controllable settings... basically point-and-shoot
*$550

I think the Sony is pretty much out just because it didn't impress me as much and it seems slower, more expensive, and not with many more features, if even as many features, as the others named.

So please, give opinions on any of the cameras, add information you deem worthy, or say anything else that you think will help in my decision... remember, I like coin photography so I need a macro, and nature stuff can also be both landscapes and zoom, or macro.

Thanks yet again for your great help!

Jeremy
airplanenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2003, 6:22 PM   #2

Quote:
I think there are ways to control all features (shutter speed, aperature, ISO... not sure how and the guy at the store said no (?))
Everything you could reasonably want to adjust is adjustable on my 602. It's one handful of a featured cam. 6Mpix is achieved by interpolating the output from what is basically a 3.2Mpix ccd - a bit like printer resolution enhancement. Some say the 602 at 6Mpix compares to 4Mpix real. Both the Fuji and Oly are from a good stable. I like the fast ASA options on my 602, although res. is only 1Mpix, you still get a nice pic. without flash, when pushed.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 6:59 PM   #3

That 6mp setting on Fuji is not optical--it's interpolation from the 3 megapixels. You can do the same function via Photoshop or other editing programs. The C-4000 also comes with an optimzed interpolation setting, in this case 3200x2400. Ha, that would make it a 7.68 megapixel camera, according to Fuji's marketing!

For the price difference, I'd go for the Fuji. The 6x optical zoom is very nice, and the macro function is even better than the 4000 (0.4" vs. 0.78"). Plus, if you are into movies, it can do 640x480 movies with sound only limited by storage (I think). The C-4000 can only do 320x240 for 30 seconds, and no sound.

The minimum manual ISO you can set the Fuji is 160 (vs. 100 for the 4000), but I've noticed that in Auto mode, sometimes the 4000 will select lower (sub-100) ISO. It may be the same with the Fuji.

The 2x converter for the C-4000 (which I have) is nice, but it won't be as sharp or flexible as the built-in 6x zoom on the Fuji. For example, if you wanted to take a wide-angle shot without about 1/3 of the picture being blacked out by vignetting (1/6 on each side of the picture), then you have to unscrew the telephoto converter. No such hassle with the S602.

That is a really good price for the S602, especially if it's a local store. B&H, a reputable mail-order company, sells it for more than that.

The only downside (to me, in my humble opinion, YMMV, etc., etc., ad infinitum) to the S602 is the 3mp, but maybe as the salesman said, you can get a 4mp quality pictures out of it with the interpolation function.

Good luck!
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2003, 9:28 PM   #4

Hyun,

Yet again, a very well thought out and helpful reply. Thank you!

I didn't realize that the 6MP was just the digital zoom... oops ops:

Also, is the ISO/Shutter/Aperature fully controlable in either camera? I don't think it is in the C4000 and am not sure about the S602.

If anyone else would like to chime in while I think of more questions, I would love to hear what you have to say.

I don't have access to a regular monitor right now (laptop or flat screen) as my computer is out for a bit... plus I can't download the pictures while I am on 56k instead of my usual cable, so I can't reread the reviews and look at the examples... will wait until study hall tomorrow...

Jeremy
Old Feb 23, 2003, 9:39 PM   #5

Just saw that aperature is controllable... can't see how I missed that ops:

What about accessories? How can I, as Tim the Toolman Taylor used to say, get "MORE POWER!!!"?

Jeremy
Old Feb 23, 2003, 9:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplanenut
I didn't realize that the 6MP was just the digital zoom... oops ops:

Also, is the ISO/Shutter/Aperature fully controlable in either camera? I don't think it is in the C4000 and am not sure about the S602.
Jeremy,

You are very welcome.

One clarification, the 6mp on the Fuji is NOT digital zoom--it's interpolation. Let me see if I can explain it easily. With digital zoom, you crop the middle 30% (or whatever--this would depend on the digital zoom setting) of the picture and blow it up to the same size (resolution) as the non-digital-zoomed picture. So, if the maximum optical resolution on camera A was 2000x1000, then digital zoom would take the center 1000x500 and blow it up 2000x1000 size (mind you this is a very simplified/crude explanation). Interpolation is a bit different. It will take the whole 2000x1000 picture and resize it to, say, 3000x1500. But it won't just blow the pixels up by 50% to achieve that result--it'll insert what it thinks are correct intermediate details to make the picture look better.

And yes, as you found out, the 4000 does have FULL manual control--shutter priority, aperture priority, ISO, customizable settings (a big plus for me), even adjustable white balance/sharpness/contrast/saturation.

Keep the questions coming--and if at all possible, buy from a store that has a good return policy in case you are not happy with your decision! :lol:
Old Feb 23, 2003, 10:00 PM   #7

Well, I think I'd be happy with either one right now...

I see the real thing as:

C4000 has a larger picture (but 3:4 MP really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things with pixels x pixels)

S602 has a greater zoom...

WHY IS THIS SO CONFUSING??? :evil: I just want one with both! The controllable settings is nice... I"ll have to check out the review in depth at the very least tomorrow to see what on the S602 I can control...

I'd just hate to ask about yet more cameras to consider... I want to hold them first... and most cameras would be much cheaper if bought online. I think I really have found the last two possibilities...

Jeremy

PS- If anyone has an even cheaper place to buy them... tell me
Old Feb 24, 2003, 1:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by airplanenut
PS- If anyone has an even cheaper place to buy them... tell me
buydig.com has the S602 for $429... I'd buy it from them if I was convinced that there's no way that I'd want to return it, period. In other words--you know that you'll want to keep the S602. They have excellent prices and mostly-good reviews (check www.resellerrating.com). From what I've heard, though, the return experience with buydig is less than ideal. Plus they tend to charge you more than their competitors on shipping.

For example, for the Fuji S602, you'd pay the following shipping rates at buydig.com:

10 business days: $19.95
5-7 business days: $29.95
3-4 business days: $44.95
1-2 business days: $64.96

At B&H Photo (one of the best-reputed mail order company):

3-5 business days: $13.35
2 business days: $22.50
1 business day: $42.50

... then again, B&H Photo's price for the S602 is $579...