Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 28, 2005, 4:02 AM   #1

im off on a trip into africa for a month or two and i need a reliable solution for backing up images. there should be a power point on most places im staying at so i can recharge my gear and so whatever else is necessary.

what do you guys think the best solution is?
phong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:28 AM   #2

If you want the extra features it offers, I've heard universal great things about the Epson P-2000 (a newer model with a larger hard disk, the P-4000, just came out.)

It is expensive, but it includes lots of features that many of the others don't have. And it has a stunningly good screen. The other great thing it has is really good battery life. Since you have power everywhere you go, this isn't as much of an issue. but for some it is. Many portable backup devices only have enough power to copy around 5G or so of data before they die. the P-2000 (and maybe the P-4000? I haven't seen reviews of it yet) can do around 11G. That is a huge difference.

I would at least consider it seriously.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2005, 11:41 AM   #3
E.T

But HDs are relative fragile, one wrong bump and by by photos.
So if you want best reliability you should burn them also to CD-Rs... well, say to single layer DVDs, price of blanks is same and capacity and error correction better.
You could actually burn everything twice, one for carrying with you and other for sending to home.
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 2:08 AM   #4

the P-2000 sounds like the ultimate, but a screen is not something i really need. i think im settling on a hard disk solution, just not really sure what to go for. any good screenless recommendations?
phong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 11:29 AM   #5

And one wrong twist and you've lost the CDs as well.
As long as you don't do jumping jacks while you're coping your images to the device (which is true if its a hard disk or CD based) both are reliable.

Now, the CDs have the benefit of being able to make multiple back ups. But I believe they have even more power issues than the hard disk ones.

Image tank used to make fairly good ones. But I'm not sure if they are around any more.

Steve's Digitcams has a section where they review image storage devices. Check out:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_...s.html#storage

Some of those reviews are old, but it should give you a lead on the companies who make them.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 12:15 PM   #6

I also recommend the Epson p2000 or its newer incarnation the p4000 (best bang for the buck IMHO) ... it beats carrying around my laptop, asmall plug-in usb HD or two,and/or burning CDs. Or take lots of memory with you ... if you use CF as I do, a couple 4- or 5-gig CF Microdrives may be just the ticket. Even well above 10K feet, I have had no problems with my 4gb Hitachi Microdrives.

Personally, I try to carry as few items as possible for an extended trip with insecure hotels and high-value equipment, andwould prefer to carry my stuff with me all the time;the p2000 + camera and a few accessories could all easily fit in one smallish bag or backpack if you do want the ability to preview the shots, or show others.

Check out well-traveled Moose Peterson's real-world-working-use review of the P2000 at his websitehttp://www.moosepeterson.com/isout.html
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2005, 7:11 PM   #7

You might want to check out Wolverine Data - they offer a device called the Flashpac which is a harddrive with a built-in card reader that reads all of the standard cards (to use M-xD you need to do the firmware upgrade). I used one for a three month trip, worked fine, and the battery is good for around 3 or 4 gb at a time. I got the 40 GB version for $100 at Fry's after mail-in rebate, and now that I'm back home I use it as an external harddrive. Very useful.
dethsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 4:12 PM   #8

Storage woes? Wait till a home writable version of this blueray killer comes out.
http://news.ft.com/cms/s/82e70cee-60...0779e2340.html

At 300Gb a disk that will hold one large pile of images.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote