Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:48 AM   #1

I need to buy the 20d before the 15th of January to get the rebate deal. I also am buying the white body Canon 28-300 Land a 20mm wide and a 100 mm macro, all at once.

Do the good online retailers offer decent after Christmas deals or maybe no interest for 6 months? This package plus a 430EX flash is going to run me about $4300 after the rebate. I think I'm going with B&H photo.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"
SJ

speleojeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2005, 2:44 AM   #2

If u already have some canon lenses and just adding one more body to ur collection then buying the 20D now would be a good idea. But if this is ur first DSLR, and if i were in your place i would wait till the PMA in feb and see if the 20D is getting upgraged or replaced, and would also be expecting the 9D from Konica Minolta.

5D is far better than XT when it comes to low light handling. I have had hands on experience with the 5D in low light and the AS works wonderfully well. Definitly two stops slower than any other camera.

SO think and make a decision.

SVB
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:31 AM   #3

I don't think you will find any great deals (at least one to die for) after christmas. This is not a seasonally driven industry...prices won't drop until new technology is introduced. If you wait, you can always get a better deal 4-6 months or more down the road...but think about all the pictures you could be taking now. The truth is any dslr you buy now will give you many years of service.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:41 AM   #4

Yeah, I was afraid there wouldn't besales. It is my first DSLR and I'm getting the whole kit n' kaboodle all at once. I think I'll have to do the big purchase and then transfer the balance to another credit card so I'm not paying out the hoo ha in interest.

I'd wait for the next gen camera, but I've decided that you just have to jump on somewhere, and the rebate deals with Canon are too good. I'll save $435 on this setup in rebates. And, since the 20D takes really good pictures anyhow, and with my using the whitebody L lense for most of my photography, I think I'll get pretty darn good picture quality. I hear from too many other posters that quality increases are marginally better, but not overwhelmingly so. But, my next camera body for sure will be a FF digital in maybe 4 or 5 years. By then the replacement for the 5D will be super!

SJ
speleojeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2005, 12:06 AM   #5

Digital cameras are still relatively new and "hot" items, so you almost never see good deals on them around the holiday season. At best you may find stores that offer a free memory card or something with it. Even after Xmas, DSLR prices usually don't dip too low as they are still so far not a "sell in the hundreds" type of item in most stores. You'll likely see any year end sales on consumer cameras that are not good sellers during Xmas to clear them out.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote