Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 9, 2005, 10:53 PM   #11

If the store is busy, then it's kinda mean to waste their time asking questions and then not buying there. If the store is not busy, then they will appreciate your questions because it will make them feel like knowledgeable people rather than cash register jockeys:

http://camerastore.blogspot.com/
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 9:01 AM   #12

2 times I went to the local store (different ones). Keeble & Shucat in palo alto and San Jose camera. The people at k&s were knowlegeable but they were stearing me towards $600 tripod for my 10D and 100-400L. I ended up buying Feisol CF on the web for $180.

The other store didn't even bother to ask me what I was looking for.

Lots of times, the guys at local store don't know much. I feel better to gather info from online forums from people who are really using the stuff and then buy online. I wish local stores would have competitive prices. I know they got to pay for sales/support but the difference in prices between online and local stores seems ridiculous.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2005, 11:01 AM   #13

I agree with eric s that it isn't unethical but I couldn't personally bring myself to do it. I wouldn't even consider airshowfan's example of hogging a salesman's time when the store is busy as unethical, but I could never consider anyone a friend who was that selfish and careless or other's needs.

And you don't know for sure you won't buy in the store. They might have a demo or return in perfect shape they can give you with a full guarantee at a great price. And you can start using it right now. I think if the owners had a choice they would prefer you come into their store even though you intended to buy elsewhere. That is assuming the customer had the consideration to not hog their time when there were real customers waiting.

People in a good camera shop might be helpful in the DSLR range with features and lenses. But for regular consumer and prosumer cameras I think it would be rare to find a salesperson who regularly studied the reviews from dpreview, Steves, Imaging Resource, DCRP etc, and would really know the relative merits of those cameras. They will probably find something to like about whatever they have a good stock of and are afraid they will be stuck with them. Other than hold the cameras, your research is better done online IMO.

What I do have a problem with is the concept of buying several cameras and keeping the one you like. If it is at the suggestion of the store and the store is going to take the hit and sell it as a demo, then everything is ethical and everyone happy. But if the store is going to send it back to the distributor as a return, they are being unethical IMO. If the store is going to rewrap everything and sell it again as new they are being unethical. If the customer has bought at several places with good return policies and intends returning all but one that person is being unethical.

If the camera is being handled as a return and sent back through the wholesale chain, it represents a substantial loss. The camera has to be checked out and sold for peanuts at the wholesale level as "refurbished". The cost of doing business is passed on to the customer, and everyone pays for a few people's extra service.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 2:05 PM   #14

There's nothing unethical about shopping around and saving your hard earned money. That having been said, using someone's time with no intention of purchasing is. Why not, after doing your homework, approach the store owner-manager with a quote and ask what's the best deal he/she can offer you? True, many smaller concerns may not be able to match the price, but as the store owner I think I would give serious consideration to getting myself into the ballpark pricewise. The cost difference could be genuinely rationalized by some of the above comments.
jpistone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 4:08 PM   #15

Alot of brick and morters are falling off of the map because they have asales staff that has no idea what they are selling. Many others will flat out lie about anything to get the sale. It doesn't take consumers long to figure out they have been lied to, and find a new place to spend the money they work so hard for.There is a store in my home town that I visit whenever I make it back that way. I have been going in for over 30 years. If I walk in today having not been back for 3 years the owner comes up shakes my hand and asks if he can show me anything. He and his Daughter know more about cameras then all other camera stores and best buys put together that I've been in. If I'm stopping to look or see the new toys they have, or to buy I'm treated the same. With respect, most stores have no idea what that is. I have bought alot of camera gear over the years. I've not lived in my home town for 20 of those years, and I bet they have sold me at least 70% of what I've bought. I have 2 kids, and 3 step kids. I have bought all the camera gear they have except my step daughters boyfriend just bought her a NIKON 8700 and kit for Christmas. I sure don't feel bad going in any store to look around and compare things. If the store thinks I'm wrong for doing that then maybe they should close their doors and become a mail order outfit. I shop and shoppers have the right to do just that.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2005, 4:08 PM   #16

Double post...............Sorry.
sw2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:58 PM   #17

I buy almost everything online...in some aspects yes going to a B&M then shopping online is sort of unethical.

However, in most of my experience I can shop online with other B&M's and get way better pricing. Number one leader is car parts. www.parts.com is mostly the same type of dealership you have in your own backyard, but the pricing is usually 20-30% better.

I went to my local Nissan dealership planning a restoration on a car I just bought, they were not only the highest priced, but above the MSRP of the items. I wanted to negotiate and was willing to spend actually $150 more than my best price, but they would not negotiate at all and insisted the other 'Nissan Dealers' parts were knock-offs. Now, I do use them for my service that I cannot do/want to domyself.

The $700 in parts I got shipped with the shipping charges included in that price would have been $1200 with tax locally. Same parts, same type of business. The only headaches you have to deal with is a wrong part coming prior to install day. $500 is a lot of cash in that purchase.

I am all for supporting local businesses, but I am not going to get ripped off at the same time.

There are incentives in all business from the manufacturers for large volumes. There are also sometimes restrictions (I hate these things, a la all retailers cannot sell lower than a certain amount...)

Å

alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 10:09 PM   #18

I am very fortunate to have two "true" professional high quality brick and mortar photo stores close to my home. I have no ethical dillema competing these two against each other. These two will respectively compete against the Big Box idiots in my area [most of the time] but cannot compete against the mega-mail-order outfits.

If I know what I want--like a filter or such--I simply go on line and buy it. If I am in doubt and need advice or need to 'feel' the goods, I go to my Brick -n- Mortar shop.

I feel that it is my obligation (yes _obligation_) to purchase from a shop that I have asked to spend time waiting on me, giving me advice, and letting me handle the equipment. So, I'm careful as to what I ask for. ...by the way, aking the BetBuy nerd to unlock the demo camera and attach a lens is not the same thing.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2005, 11:34 PM   #19

jawz wrote:
Quote:
I am very fortunate to have two "true" professional high quality brick and mortar photo stores close to my home. I have no ethical dillema competing these two against each other. These two will respectively compete against the Big Box idiots in my area [most of the time] but cannot compete against the mega-mail-order outfits.

If I know what I want--like a filter or such--I simply go on line and buy it. If I am in doubt and need advice or need to 'feel' the goods, I go to my Brick -n- Mortar shop.

I feel that it is my obligation (yes _obligation_) to purchase from a shop that I have asked to spend time waiting on me, giving me advice, and letting me handle the equipment. So, I'm careful as to what I ask for. ...by the way, aking the BetBuy nerd to unlock the demo camera and attach a lens is not the same thing.

You mentioned some important things above. I only shop against B&M online if I don't need the advice. If I have a trained person sitting with me and writes up a sale I will go local. Usually I have done my research ahead of time so I know I will not be paying too much, but due to whatever reason I don't want to handle the responsibility of the install myself or risk of a defect.

A good example is my current TV. However, I did buy my CRT 19" monitor online and had luckily bought from a company that has a free replacement policy. The second day the CRT turned all green. There was no box damage although something must have happened in shipment as they benchtest all monitors prior to shipping.

Still no hassles and they even cross-shipped my new monitor that same day.

I bought my first and second home theaters (that's basically all of them ) locally. I wanted to spend a lot of time listening and evalutating them. I ended up paying about 20% more locally for that...but that 20% was more than made up in the time and help getting the right choices, setting up the equipment properly, etc. The guy showed me tricks I would never have thought of.

For a digicam purchase though, run to a Wal*Mart, Best Buy, whatever, don't bother anyone. Sample your camera, check it out (I still do a lot of local business with these merchants)...then shop price. Last man standing wins (it works the same with service oriented purchases)...

Å

alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote