Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 5, 2005, 9:32 AM   #1

I have an old Canon Eos 300 camera (film) with two Canon lenses up to 200mm. I wanna upgrade to digital. Can I use the "film" lenses on the digi cam ?
stompa13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2005, 12:52 PM   #2

Any EOS lens will work on any Canon digital SLR camera. Those cameras with sensors smaller than full frame (Digital Rebels, EOS 20D, etc.) will crop the center of the exposure, acting like a telephoto converter... your 200mm lens will act like a 320mm (200X1.6). Wide angle performance will be degraded by the same crop factor.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 12:56 PM   #3

thanks Wildman. The cropping thing sounds bad - is it a big factor or just a minor detail?

I also heard a bar room rumour that theold lens will work on a digital camera, but that the auto zoom feature wont work - in other words, that I would have to manually focus the lens all the time. Is this correct ?

thanks again

Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:22 PM   #4

It depends if you do a lot of wide angle shots or not. It is a benefit if you take longer shots because you'll get more reach (or it will seem like you have more reach.)

If you take wide angle shots you're field of view is smaller than it "should be" with that lens, because of the sensor "crop".

I do telephoto work, so I like having the crop factor. On the other hand, when I wanted to shoot wide angle landscape shots I had to go out and buy a 17-40mm lens because my 28mm just wasn't wide enough.

There is a true benefit, though. You're only using the center portion of the image, which means you're only using the best portion of the lens (the center.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2005, 7:31 PM   #5

Best bet is to stay out of bars... it'll affect focus ;-) Don't know what "auto zooming" means, but auto focus will work with your old EOS lenses if you go to a DSLR.

I'd consider getting one of the kit lenses... the EF-S 18-55, or better, the EF-S 17-85IS to cover the wider shots. The 18-55 is pretty inexpensive, about $100. The 17-85IS costs around $500, but is a great walk-around lens.

Cropping isn't really a "bad thing". It's a fact of life. One of the above mentioned lenses will improve wide angle performance with consumer level DSLRs.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:56 PM   #6

thanks again Wildman.

ummm, doh, yeah i did mean auto-focus. Best i stay out of thosebars.

cheers