Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 25, 2003, 8:47 PM   #1

Default A little help?

Ok, i baught a HP photosmart 318 digital camera today and am VERY dissapointed in the quality, with taxes i spent about 350 canadian and the pictures are very grainy and blurry and ive taken pictures from all distances with every different flash setting and different lighting with the best quality selected to no avail, SO im bringing it back tommorow and im still getting a new digital camera but i have no idea what one to get in my price range.Im applying for a music demo grant and i need cover art for it, so i need a quality digital camera for it, and i have abdobe photoshop 7 for editing, i know i used my freinds kodak digital camera before for cover art and the quality wasnt bad at all and im sure it was only a 2 MP camera, but i cant get ahold of him so can any of u suggest a camera i should get for 350 canadian?I need somthing thats going to be very crisp and colorful and im aware i dont have alotta money for it but there just HAS to be somthing decent for that much.thx in advance.
Malice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2003, 12:23 AM   #2

I'd suggest the canon a40, excellent 2mp camera and I saw one at bestbuy recently for $200, not sure what that equates to in Canadian though.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 4:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark50
I'd suggest the canon a40, excellent 2mp camera and I saw one at bestbuy recently for $200, not sure what that equates to in Canadian though.
I would love to get a canon a40, and 200 bux american is clost to 300 canadian, i was hoping to get the canon actually but when i got over to wallmart it was 399, so with taxes it would be about 100 bucks more then at best buy, which i dont have where i live, but thx for replyen.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 7:15 AM   #4

Default Re: A little help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice
.... and the pictures are very grainy and blurry ...
"grainy" could be blamed on the camera unless you have it set to something other than the largest size and lowest compression. What settings did you use?

"blurry" is very unlikely to be the camera's fault - that is much more likely to be opperator error. Until you learn how to use a camera, you will get "blurry" pictures with any camera that is in your hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malice
....i need cover art ...
How large is the cover? How is it being printed, e.g., on cardboard, photo quality, ...? How much detail is in the art, e.g., foggy lakeshore, butterfly wings, ...? How important is the detail in the art?
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 10:11 AM   #5

The cover art is going to be small enough ti fit in a cd jacket, the detail and quality is very important, but i got a cam today and its a kodak easyshare CX4230, i took an out door picture and it was pretty good quality wise, however indoors its not great but no where near as bad as the hp i had, is there any tips or tricks i can use to up the quality indoors?Also its going to be printed on photo quality gloss paper.
Old Feb 26, 2003, 10:25 AM   #6

Was thinking of getting the A40 for my son. It looks like a best buy for the current price ( $225 at Target USA).
Elrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2003, 11:23 AM   #7

Malice

When compairing cameras, you need to make sure that the pictures you are compairing are taken in exactly the same light, of exactly the same subject, exactly the same camera settings (and there are probably more "Exactly the same"s, I'm just not thinking of them.)

From your coments, I'm guessing that the pictures you took with the HP had different light then with the Kodak. (For example, is there a window near by? Was it a suny when you used the Kodak?) If you had more light with the Kodak then a camera in an "auto" mode might have picked a faster shutter speed for you. That could easily make its pictures sharper... and you would have done nothing different when taking the picture.

You didn't mention if you were using a tripod. That can go a long way to making your pictures sharp. One of the most common comments I read is:

Quote:
The single purchase that will improve your photography the most is to buy a good tripod.
(Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, no advice can. But this one covers a lot of people and situations.)
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote