Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 27, 2003, 8:22 PM   #11

The main "technical" issue is: How sure are you that you will NEVER want to print those pictures bigger than 5x7?

Another related issue is: How sure are you that you will never show those 5x7" prints to someone who knows how to recognize JPEG artifacts? And hates them.

Getting good photos is a game of gaining 5% here, 10% there, ... If you get into the habit of ignoring small problems, you will end up stacking so many problems on top of each other that you will be lucky to have an image that will print clearly on a postage stamp.

Memory is cheap. Get more of it.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 8:36 PM   #12

Thanks Bill, thats kind of the answer I was looking for, I dont mind using the larger SHQ, I just wanted someone to say I may see a difference. I cant, but I dont have an eye for that.

Thanks again.

C
Carman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2003, 9:48 PM   #13

You will develope an eye for JPEG compression problems, and for other problems. What you do not want to do is cripple your original images so you kick yourself later..

That is also why you want to keep a copy your origjinal images exactly as they come from the camera with no changes of any kind whatsoever. Then you can go back to your favorites later when you have learned more about how to deal with them.[/b]
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 12:27 PM   #14

So what it boils down to is, SHQ is noticably better for printing right?

I bought a C-2100 not long ago and I've been shooting in HQ. I had an 8x10 printed a couple weeks ago and I was not impressed with the quality. The jpg artifacts were there if you really looked. Would SHQ help illiminate that?
Jason R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 4:13 PM   #15
lg

Yes, SHQ would help to eliminate that. Keep in mind that an 8x10 print is about the maximum size you can expect with your camera, so any cropping, slight misfocus, noise from low lighting, or modification of the original print will really start to show up when making large prints. Could any of the above be reasons you were dissatisfied with the 8x10 HQ pic you printed?

My personal experience is that you can get perfectly acceptable 8x10 prints in HQ mode. Side-by-side, compared to SHQ mode, they will be, in fact, slightly less sharp. However, I would challenge you to make two identical prints, hand either one by itself to someone and ask them how it looks. Then, let them view the other without having the first to compare and see if they notice any difference.

The bottom line? SHQ is sharper, but is it worth sacrificing half of your media storage capacity? That's a call you'll have to make for yourself.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote