Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 27, 2003, 9:12 PM   #1

Default Paper

Just ordered a Canon i850. Now for some paper...

Any reccomendations?
When I sent traditional film to the lab, I used to pay the exra buck for matte prints.
How do matte photos turn out from a digital camera/printer? The paper certainly seems to be cheaper.
Do I need special paper for borderless prints?

Is the Canon Photo Pro paper worth it?

one more...
In the revew of the i850 it mentions selecting media type in the driver menu...I don't see "Matte" as an option there. Which Media Type would I choose, if I went that route? (Plain paper, High Resolution Paper, Photo Paper Pro, Glossy Photo Paper, High Gloss Photo Film, T-Shirt Transfer, Transparency, Envelope)

Thanks a lot!!
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2003, 6:46 AM   #2

My main recomondation is to stick with the manufacturer's recomended paper - at least until you are sure you have everything working right. Same with the ink.

There are all kind of variables in getting the prints to come out the way you want them. When you start out, life will be much easier if you aren't fighting ink and paper problems on top of all the color matching fun-and-games.

You will want/have to experiment to get your prints to show up they way you like them. With any kind of experimentation, reducing the number of variables is a real good idea. Once you know what your printer will do with the manufacturer's ink and paper, then start experimenting with other brands. Not before.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:57 AM   #3

You can order a sample pack of various papers from Redriver paper company. Go to this link for more info.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 1:51 PM   #4

I probably will go with some Canon reccomended paper at first, to get the hang of the machine.

Red River seems to be pretty reasonably priced, and I like the idea of the sample test-pack.
You use them? Which paper do you like the best?
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 2:38 PM   #5

Good question, grahamb......

Whatever paper you choose, ensure that it is acid free. Your photos will remain "true" much longer with this type of paper.

For the really special photos, you have several different vendors
from which to choose to have them printed on photographic paper.

Also, for pennies on the dollar you can obtain clear, acid free plastic sleeves with three ring punch holes into which you can put your
photos.

Photos done with my HP deskjet printers (now using a 990CSE)
have not faded in 2-3 years. Note that I do not put photos in
direct sunlight

Two cents.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2003, 5:45 PM   #6

Yes I use Red River Paper. I use the Ultra Gloss 68lb. It really produces some great prints for me. I have only tried the gloss so far but all of them have worked for me.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2003, 1:33 PM   #7
r-w

There are also a few aerosol sprays on the market.(Fix Jet is the one I have.. I think) that work very well to preserve ink jet prints as well as give them the texture you want. I find I get the best prints from my HP Photo printer on Gloss paper, but I really like the finish using the Matte spray. You can get the spray in Matte or Gloss. I have had prints that hang in the hall near sunlight and have held up great after 3-4 years.
r-w is offline   Reply With Quote