Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2003, 2:44 PM   #1

Default Shutter speed

I am looking for a 4 - 5 Megapixl camera that has at least an 8x zoom and whose shutter captures the frame immediately upon being pushed. I now have a HP 850 and I can't take any pictures of anything moving. Please e mail me any advice. Thanks.

:P
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2003, 3:49 PM   #2
NHL

Quote:
I am looking for a 4 - 5 Megapixl camera that has at least an 8x zoom and whose shutter captures the frame immediately upon being pushed.
The delay you're experiencing is mostly due to the cameras trying to achieve focus lock before trigering the shutter. If you put the camera in manual focus then the shutter response will speed up considerably. The other way is to use the autofocus to pre-focus on something close and anticipating the shot.

Most affordable digital camera use the actual readout of the CCD @ 1/8 or more of the resolution to determine the autofocus based on contrast and this process is usually slow since its like taking consecutive pictures @ lower resolution frames until the correct contrast/sharpness is found. Film cameras use IR or separate phase detectors like on the dSLR to achieve a much faster focusing speed.

Most of the time this shutter delay/AF speed is already pre-determined by the CCD of the camera and the algorithm that each manufacturer uses. This focusing speed also varies with brightness (ie its faster in bright outdoor than dimmed indoor) and the actual size of the different focus areas (the smaller the faster) ie select a small area if your camera is capable.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote