Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 14, 2005, 10:41 PM   #1

I have been reading on this forum about these two items but don't seem to grasp well what they are. If somebody can explain what they are and also whether one should buy them or make them. If it is the latter what material and how can they be made.

Kind regards.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2005, 7:32 AM   #2

Diffusers are just a translucent material placed between the light source and subject, intended to soften the light. Could be frosted glass, light fabric, white or colored plastic, etc. Hanging a bedsheet between the light an subject works as a diffuser, and is inexpensive.

Reflectors are used to get indirect light. The light is aimed at the reflector instead of the subject, usually used for highlights, or to eliminate shadows. Reflectors can be diffuse, such as the good ol' bedsheet, or sharp, such as a mirror. A whiteboard can be used outdoors to reflect sunlight for fill when direct light gives too much contrast.

Both can be used for continuous light, or flash. For an idea of what is availaable, try browsing a photo dealer's catalog.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2005, 10:38 PM   #3

Hey Brian. Been sometime. Don't see much of you. Thanks very much for this innitial information. It is indeed an eye opener. Will seek out more details and work from the point you have provided.

Kind regards.

Jaki.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 1:19 AM   #4

A diffuser is placed over the flash or between it and the subject, in order to spread the light and prevent harsh shadows. One of the commercial ones is the Lightsphere II, or other similar devices. I have the earlier Lightsphere II (hard type) that is a bit bulkier to carry around, but it works well.

I've also made one for an old Panasonic flash that I use as fill flash for still-life setups; I made it from two plastic containers from the 100 yen shop here. Total cost was about $1.60 US. Here's what it looks like.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:05 PM   #5

Thank your Norm, this visual is even much better and much clearer. Can a translucent paper plastic or anything of the same sort be used?

Kind regards.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 1:31 AM   #6

Aumma45 wrote:
Quote:
Can a translucent paper plastic or anything of the same sort be used?
The real question is, "does it work?" If it works, it can be used. You can try all sorts of things and see how well they function for your purpose(s). The one caution I'd really suggest is to be careful of flammable materials if you're using hot lights.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2005, 11:28 PM   #7

Thanks Fujino.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 8:40 AM   #8

The classic way to make a reflector is with tinfoil on a piece of cardboard. All you need to do is reflect light... and that will do it. Obviously, depending on how smooth it is, it will reflect more or less light where you want it. But it *will* work.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:22 PM   #9

Eric,

Thanks a lot for the information. It was most helpful and I was able to construct one. It does the trick.

kind regards.

Jaki.