Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2003, 7:36 PM   #1

Default Camera under$400 for Concert Photography

Looking for a camera under $400 for concert photography. Any ideas? How about the Oly c4000z?

Andy
andyt1286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2003, 9:38 AM   #2

I suspect it's about as good as any in the price range. Consider if you need more zoom and if you can use flash.

Remember, 3x zoom and 12ft flash range aren't much.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2003, 11:59 AM   #3

Default photography

In most concert settings I won't be able to use flash. With stage lights and everything that shouldn't be much of a problem though, right? I noticed there is an adapter for the C4000z for additional lenses, what kind of other lenses do they have to increase the zoom?

thanks much

andy
Old Mar 2, 2003, 11:02 AM   #4

I think there are lenses made by Tiffen but I don't know how good they are. 2x I think giving you a total of 6x.

I suggest you make another post asking about converter lenses.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 10:02 AM   #5

Okay... I've done some of this, so I've been there.
For concerts I'm using my trusty old Nikon 990. Not the best for the job, but it gets the work done.

First of all, do you have permission to film these shows? Many big concerts have a "no photography" clause... either on the tickets, or at the gate. If you don't know the band, then plan on having a very concealable camera. The 990 works great for this. Even though it's a little big, it can fit in my pocket (with just the handle sticking out) which is good enough to get through security. You will also want a very sturdy camera. At shows, they can get dropped, spilled on, splashed with mud, etc.

Once you are inside, you will want a great zoom (best you can afford) and good low light ability. Sadly this is an area where I haven't found a really good digicam. Forget the flash... anything larger than a bar band, it will be too far off to do any good.

Now the really painful part? Even though the stage lights are good enough, you still need a really fast shot, because the musicians are moving fast, and the loud music will create some vibration in the camera. So you need a fast shutter speed and a high ISO number... which introduces more noise into the photo.

So, I don't know what camera is best for this, but this is what I think you need. If anyone knows a camera that fits these requirements, please let us know.
NoWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 7:06 PM   #6

I'm actually working with two professional photographies at these concerts. They're doing all of the photography, I'm doing interviews, making web sites, organizing, etc. I would like to just have a camera to get some photos of my own while I have these opportunities. We do have passes to concerts. I'm hoping the Oly C4000z will be sufficient enough, I don't need anything too amazing - just a pretty descent camera.

thanks

andy
Old Mar 8, 2003, 5:19 AM   #7

Quote:
I don't need anything too amazing - just a pretty descent camera.
The 4000 is a good camera especially for the money.