Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 17, 2005, 3:15 AM   #1

Hi, I am looking to buy a slim compact for daily point and shoot. Basicaly as an alternative to a cameraphone I'm buying a basic phone and a small camera for around £200.

One thing I would like to do though is be able to carry a "digital photo album" with me so that I can show photos to friends etc. Idealy I would like to be able to copy a lo res jpeg from my pc toa card and then view the photo on the camera screen.

I remember trying this a few years ago but the camera refused to view the jpeg regardless of which folder on the card it was in, it's size etc.

Olympus have a "photo album" facility which I think does just this, but idealy I'd want a smaller camera than the Olympus range offers. I think some Cannon's may also have some sort of feature?

Does anybody have any idea if this can be done / how? Do certain cameras act differently, ie: will some read the jpegs and other not?

My 1st choice so far is the Fuji Z1 as it is small, within budget and gets reasonable reviews.... any idea how I'll fare with this reading jpegs other than those just taken?

Thanks.

Alan.

alanken_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2005, 2:36 PM   #2

Casio cameras let you store a photo album in the permanent memory. You can zoom the image and see more detail, but I don't know how large the images actually are. It will hold a lot of photos, so they can't be very large. Fine for viewing on the LCD with zoom though. The internal memory is a bit small at just under 9Mb. You might look at some other cameras with permanent memory to see if they store a photo album. I think the Kodak V550 has 32Mb of internal memory, but I'm not familiar with their album setup.

The Z1 doesn't have permanent memory and comes with a throw-away card. You could selectively delete photos and keep the ones you want for your album, but it isn't as handy as a permanent memory setup.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2005, 2:54 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll check out the Casio options. I've tried this on cameras (pentax optio S4, panasonic d-snap and nikon 2200) in the past without success either on card or internal memory.

Any idea why a camera can't read a jpeg file even though it is placed in the same location as jpegs taken by the camera that it can recognise?

Thanks again.
alanken_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 9:39 AM   #4

Kodak v550 with the LCD at 2.5" hi-res 230,000-pixel, is ideal for use as album.

I frequently transfer images from other DC to it for viewing. The colors are even more accurate than on my laptop LCD mon. And the review-zoom speed is real fast, comparable with Canon Digic II,

You switch the side-switch to "Favourite" and then press "Review", and then the lense will NOT extrude out.

But I have no idea how to classify pictures into sub-albums.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 11:45 AM   #5

You pay for the great LCD on the V550 with more limited battery life. Not only is the LCD better quality but has a wider viewing angle for showing your photos to more than one person. It would probably be worth it to carry a spare aftermarket battery for showing off your images. You can get a good spare pretty cheap.

With the Casio the camera automatically downsizes any image going into the permanent album to 320 X 240, which still allows for 8X zoom on the display. It is called the "Favorites" folder. You would upload the image to the camera memory card and then have the camera put it in the album for you. You can then delete the image from the card. The Casio holds hundreds of small album images in the permanent memory. Both cameras let you break the album into separate folders. The Casio is very easy to navigate and I would guess the V550 is as well.

For your purposes I think the V550 would be ideal. If you plan to show the pictures around a lot get a spare battery. Ask on the Kodak board what inexpensive aftermarket batteries they have had success with.

[quote] Any idea why a camera can't read a jpeg file even though it is placed in the same location as jpegs taken by the camera that it can recognise?[quote]

You have to retain the EXIF information – Irfanview is good for that. You also can't rename the image in anything but a standard image file format. Usually 2 or 3 letters followed by numbers. All of my cameras will take images from other cameras with their file numbering systems. But you can't rename the image "Bobby" and have it display.

Maybe the V550 is different, but with all of my cameras I have to retain the EXIF and have the file name in a letters followed by numbers format.

Old Dec 19, 2005, 8:30 PM   #6

JPEGs can be compressed in different ways. Sometimes the camera can only read some of thoes ways. For example, my old Panasonic FZ1 can be attached to the TV, and I wanted to do a slideshow once. I saved the pictures in a small-ish size on Photoshop and put them in the card (in a folder created by the camera, and the files were named like the filenames the camera generates, so that the camera would recognise them).

Then, when I went to look at them on the LCD display, they were all broken up into horizontal sections, and the horizontal sections did not like up so the picture was all broken up. It was as if they were being read as one continuous row of blocks, but the display was only 7 blocks wide while each row was 8 blocks long, so the whole thing shifted down one... Hard to explain. The pictures basically looked all broken.

Taking a scientific approach, I took one image and saved again in Photoshop, using a few image sizes (320x240, 640x480, 800x600) and at each of the 12 quality settings that Photoshop offers. It turned out that saving them at quality "10" and 800x600 made them be displayed correctly. So that's something to try (saving them in different sizes and compression settings and seeing which works), if you want to do it yourself instead of using the camera's own album feature.
airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2005, 10:29 PM   #7

airshowfan wrote:
Quote:
JPEGs can be compressed in different ways. Sometimes the camera can only read some of thoes ways
My experience is:

Kodak V550 can read the images taken by:

1. Canon S80, S2is & Ixus 30, Pentax 750z & 430rs
2. Photoshop & ACDSee edited images
3. Can zoom them easily and as fast as v550 images themselves.

But Pentax 750z can only read images of itself. It can read some v550 but can NOT zoom them. Completely unable to read Canon.

Whereas Canon S80 can read all my Kodak, Pentax & other Canon. But still can NOT zoom either Kodak or Pentax images

So I would conclude v550 is more smart in reading other JPEG.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2005, 2:36 AM   #8

My Z750 will take almost anything as long as the EXIF isn't stripped and I have the right file name. I just took a Nikon image, cropped it in Irfanview and saved at various qualities. The Z750 had no problems with the Nikon filenames and images. It will also zoom them.

My Panasonic FZ10 does as well. I tried different sized images from several cameras a few months ago that had been modified in Photoshop. Same with my Oly C50. You can't "Save for Web" in Photoshop or you lose the EXIF.

You have to be sure you don't have progressive checked or it is very picky about size and compression. If I use Baseline (Standard) all of my cameras will take about anything and zoom them normally. With progressive JPG you have to get exactly the right size and compression so it fits into the scan pattern of the LCD.