Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 1, 2003, 9:17 PM   #1

Default Printer Problem

Sorry for posting this here; the printer forum seems pretty unused and I need some advice...

Just got my first photo printer...new Canon i950...the prints are just beautiful.

But today I was looking at them and noticed that there is a tiny smudge or smear in the glossy paper...about 3" down and 2" over from the top left corner...on ALL of them (8x11).

I am amazed that you can take this glossy paper (Canon Photo Paper Pro) and drag it through a printer with fairly rapid speed and not have smudging like this occur...it is pretty subtle...

But nonetheless after paying for the printer, the ink, the expensive paper, and then spending time getting the picture right in Photoshop Elements, I am not happy with this tiny little smudge on every print...even if it IS hard to see.

It's not the printer head...it's always in exactly the same place on every print...I even fired a blank sheet through (by printing a blank document) and it still happened...a little smear on the gloss...I figure it's the little wheels or whatever that pull the paper through the printer.

I checked out the manual and the help index...couldn't find anything close except scratching from the printer head, which I don't think applies...

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of problem?

Should I try to fool with the printer? Should I run a bunch of blank paper through it hoping that if it's a little something in the mechanism it will rub off and stop doing this? Should I talk to Canon?

Or should I take it right back to the store I purchased it from? That is what I am leaning towards doing.

Thanks
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2003, 3:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Or should I take it right back to the store I purchased it from? That is what I am leaning towards doing
I'd return it for a replacement, messing with printer mechanics is an out of warranty last resort. As you suggest, it's sounds roller/transport related - Any stuff on their website?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2003, 12:12 PM   #3

Could it be a thickness adjustement if there is one? glossy paper are thicker, and the head should be further form the paper. Just a guess.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2003, 12:54 PM   #4

Stu,

Assuming it's not the paper lever or anything obvious like that, I'd take it back to the store and get a replacement. From everything I've heard and read, the i950 is a superb photo printer, but it does sound like you got a defective unit. You should not have to spend your time and money (paper, etc.) trying to troubleshoot a unit that should work flawlessly out of the box (for what it's worth, that's been my experience with the Canon S820 photo printer--a beautiful little thing).

One more thing: I've noticed that at least with my S820, the ink indicator sensor is rather conservative. The printer will report that I'm down to maybe 1/4 of the ink remaining, whereas in reality there might be 1/3 left (with the Canon BCI-6 series ink cartridges, the cartridge body is clear--unlike HP or Epsons--so you can actually see how much ink is left in the reservoir). That might seem like a little difference, but in practice it'll probably be six to eight sheets of 8.5"x11" prints.

I do like being able to replace individual ink cartridges (with my previous HP and Epson printers, you had to replace the entire color cartridge that contained 3 colors). Very nice. My photo magenta and photo cyan are being used up at a much faster rate than the other four colors.

Oh yeah, one more thing (really, this time). I've so far stuck to using Canon Photo Paper Pro for printing. It gives beautiful printouts--it's their highest quality paper, and I didn't want to deal with the hassle of buying third-party paper and trying to figure out optimal settings for that paper. If you want to save a little money, don't buy the 4x6 packs--they are somewhere around $9 for 20 sheets. Instead, spend $12 for 15 sheets of 8.5x11", then cut them up to size as needed. You can get three 4x6 prints from a single 8.5x11 size paper, so you can effectively get 45 4x6 prints for $12 by cutting-your-own (not to mention the flexibility of being able to cut 5x7 or 8x10 as needed) vs. $9 for 20 pre-cut 4x6 Photo Paper Pro.

Good luck!
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2003, 1:27 PM   #5

Try the paper thickness adjustment FIRST! If it's thicker paper and you're not adjusting the printer for it, it's your fault for not RTFM, Read The Full Manual.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2003, 9:42 PM   #6

Thanks, everybody, for your advice...

I read all the help/manuals that came with the printer...

I hadn't tried the paper level because I did have it set correctly for the Photo Paper Pro...there are only two settings...to the left for paper (including Photo Paper Pro) and to the right for envelopes, T-Shirt transfers, etc...

The lever seems to be for the distance of the printer head, and if that were the problem I would think that this smudge/scratch would not be always at the same spot on the paper...that's why I figure it's the transport mechanism.

Anyhow I tried it tonight with the lever to the loose setting...got a warning that it was in the wrong position for the paper I was using...told it to continue anyhow...got a nice looking print...and still had the little smudge.

So I'm gonna try to exchange the printer...

Hyun, thanks for the paper advice...this is indeed nice paper...I may experiment with paper someday but not until I get better at all the other stuff.

Cutting up the 8.5 X 11's to get 4 X 6's sounds like a great plan...but brings me to another question...I notice that there are two kinds of 4X6 Photo Paper Pro...regular and "for borderless"...what is the difference?...is it size only or is it in how the edges are treated? If you cut your own do you have to do it differently for borderless printing?

Thanks, again, everybody...love this forum.
Old Mar 2, 2003, 9:48 PM   #7

[quote="rych26"]Cutting up the 8.5 X 11's to get 4 X 6's sounds like a great plan...but brings me to another question...I notice that there are two kinds of 4X6 Photo Paper Pro...regular and "for borderless"...what is the difference?...is it size only or is it in how the edges are treated? If you cut your own do you have to do it differently for borderless printing?[quote]

Stu,

If you don't choose "borderless," your 4x6 (or 8.5x11" prints will have a minor (maybe about 1/8") white border around the picture. If you choose borderless, then the printer will enlarge the print area to encompass the paper size selected--so you'll lose a bit of picture details around the edges.

If you use Canon's Easy Photo Print program, click on "Trim" on the final tab--it'll show you what'll be printed and what'll be cut out.

Good luck with the exchange.
Old Mar 2, 2003, 10:04 PM   #8

Hyun...

OK on that, but I was wondering what the difference was in the paper itself...

Canon sells "4X6 Photo Paper Pro" (catalog 569A005) and "4X6 Photo Paper Pro for Borderless Printing" (catalog 109A014)...are the regular ones just a bit bigger to handle the border?

I mean 4X6 is 4X6, right? :?
Old Mar 2, 2003, 11:04 PM   #9

Aaahh, sorry... I misunderstood.

The "4x6 for borderless printing" is actually about 4.5x8.5", with 4x6" area in the middle with very fine perforation. Once you bend the edge along the perforated border, then it's a snap to separate the 4x6" area from the larger area.

So when you go to print your 4x6" image, the Canon program will slightly enlarge it to cover an area very slightly larger than actual 4x6". When you separate the perforation, then you get a photo that is fully borderlessly printed.

Their 4x6 print paper (not "for borderless printing) is actually 4x6 in size; you can either get slight white borders around the edges, or you can choose borderless and have it overspray the edges (there's sponge-like absorption pad along the bottom of my S820 that soaks up the overspray).
Old Mar 3, 2003, 6:59 AM   #10

Ah Ha!...Thank you!