Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 21, 2005, 5:29 PM   #11

As you can see from the price of the other device listed, the Epson is expensive, but it also does a lot of stuff. No matter what you get (cheap or expensive) make absolutely SURE the battery life is acceptable. As I said before, many will die after about 5-6 transfers of a 1 G card. If you shoot in RAW with a 8MP sensor, you'll get around 110 or less images per card. That means you can take around 500 images in a day before the battery dies. If you think you'll do that, then you need another solution (like a device which can use external batteries to power it.

You can get a decent 1G card for reasonable money right now. For example:
I'm relatively sure you could get an XD->CF adapter. I've never looked, but I bet you could.

You can get 1G Sandisk xd cards for $75 at www.newegg.com. I don't know what you're paying, but I like this store. I don't know enough to know if that is a good price or not.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 5:56 PM   #12
E.T

xoxox wrote:
Quote:
I just realized it only has a SD card slot as well as CF card slot. I carry an Olympus camera and it uses an XD-card.
I wonder if this Epson device can also transfer images uses an XD-card.
That's double bad, because proprietary xD-cards are more expensive than others.
Also most iamge bank devices don't support xD without adapter.

What kind data transfer mode your camera has, does it require own program or does show as removable drive/mass storage device in Windows Explorer when you connect it to PC?
Archos Gmini 402 has 20GB of storage space and USB-host controller compatible with USB Mass storage devices so it could download photos from camera in that case, it's also quite inexpensive.
http://www.archos.com/products/pc_ce...402/index.html

But it (like all other similar devices) contains mechanical hard disk which is prone to bumbs, especially when it's in use. So even that cannot be kept as really secure way.
Best would be to have backups in CD/DVD, also you could post other copy to home.

http://www.apacer.com/en/products/Mu...ia_Storage.htm
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2005, 7:53 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for all the important information. =)

Eric, so does that mean the Epson is positively not for me because of the XD card? That would suck. =(

That one looks superb but like you said, it would be best to get something with a good battery life. My camera is a 4 megapixel so I can take about a good 550 pictures with memory of about half a gig. I will definitely buy more memory though.

With regards to the battery,if anything I could get an extra battery couldn't I? Two batteries for the multimedia player.

I don't plan on staying in hotels. I will be hopping from Hostel to Hostel, including staying with some occasional friends and family.

Hostels better have outlets and if anything I will charge them while keeping a good eye on them so they don't get stolen.

Thanks ET for the info. My computer has a built in 7 card reader so all I do is slip in the memory and i transfer images to my hard drive. No cables needed. My camera came with a cd program so I can transer my images and video but I onlu use it for video transfer.

xoxo
xoxox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:53 PM   #14

Most storage device don't allow you to replace the battery. So you'd probaly need a device that lets you plug a battery pack into the external power connector. Not all devices have those, although there are a few ones that people have built themselves that work.

I still believe there is an adaptor that lets you put an XD card into a CF slot. I just haven't taken the time to look for them. Do some searching and find one before you continue because that directly influences which you buy.

E.T,
this is just where we differ. laptop hard disks are designed to handle some movement while in use. So it isn't as bleak as you seem to portray it. It is true I wouldn't jumpt around while downloading to it, but you can still walk around and I bet it would work just fine.

CD-Roms are much easier to break or get scratched... so does that mean you rule them out too? The only advantage a CD-Rom burner has (to me) is that you can make backups and mail them home. Then you really know they are safe (if someone checks them there and backs them up at home too.)

Eric
Old Dec 23, 2005, 8:07 AM   #15
Super Moderator

A few thoughts:

1. When you do get near a camera shop, ask them to burn your photos to CD for you. You don't have to have prints made, and now you have them on CD as backup. Most shops will do this while you wait.

2. The Epson P2000 is a fantastic device, it would be your best bet if you can afford it and if you can plug in your XD cards, but it's not the only game in town.

3. You could also simply purchase a one of these...

http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx...nKey=0&v=1

I have an earlier version - I had an old notebook drive so just bought the enclosure. Send an email to find out if it supports XD cards, but I'm pretty sure it does it has a 7-card integrated reader.

When you want to download the photos simply press the button and it copies everything to the disk. The integrated battery doesn't last terribly long, but enough to copy a couple of cards' worth before you have to recharge it.

My version also has an external plug-in power supply that takes AA batteries, but it's an expensive option to run.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2005, 3:48 PM   #16

Check out the Wolverine:

http://secure.serverlab.net/shop/mer...re_Code=T00107

100 GB of storage

Rechargeable internal battery- transfer up to 20GB of data or play 8 hours of music or 3.5 hours of video on a single charge

HOLY CRAP! And on top of thatit has an LCD screen to actually view your videos/photos like the Epson.

One thing I like about the Epson is that you can store your pictures and files in specified folders, which is awesome considering I would have to somehow organize them.

This seems like a pretty good deal. Anyone else find something better???

Any help would be appreciated =)

xoxo

Old Dec 23, 2005, 3:59 PM   #17

Check out the wolverine:

http://secure.serverlab.net/shop/mer...re_Code=T00107
  • It has 100 GB of storage
[/*][*]Rechargeable internal battery- transfer up to 20GB of data or play 8 hours of music or 3.5 hours of video on aSINGLE CHARGE.[/*]

[align=justify]
[*]Weighs only 10 ounces[/*]
Woahhhhh! This seems like a killer deal. It also accepts XD cards with an external adapter.[/align]
Does anyone know of anything better than this?

Any help would be appreciated. =)

xoxo
Old Dec 23, 2005, 4:06 PM   #18

The good thing about the Epson it that it has an internal menu that makes it easy to organize files into specified folders.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I don't know if the Wolverine can do that.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"It turns out that the Epson does allow third party adapters but its moore pricey than the wolverine and with less memory (wolverine has 100 GB at $499.00 and the Epson has 80 MB at $699.00)

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The Epson, however has a bigger screen.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Hmmmmm...what to choose what to choose.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Any other suggestions?
Old Dec 23, 2005, 8:45 PM   #19

While it is possible that the Wolverine can transfer 20G of data before the battery dies I would be extremely impressed. The Epson unit is the best I've heard of and it can go 13G. It should be said that I know nothing about the Wolverine, never heard of it before this thread. I would look seriously for a review of the unit by a site that looks at these units. It might be good, it might not. I don't know.

To me, it comes down to what you need. The Epson does a lot of stuff that you might not need. If you don't need those features (for example, the BIG high quality screen, the ability to play videos, and more) I know people who like it. But it does a lot more than you need. You need something that stores images while you travel. It is very good at what it does, but should you pay for lots of features you don't need?

Eric
Old Dec 23, 2005, 10:28 PM   #20

Actually I would definitely prefer one with a LCD screen. Before I didn't, but I would get too antsy to not be able to look at the photos and videos I've taken, I mean who wouldn't???

I would be re-playing all the videos/photos I've taken on a daily basis, so the screen for now is a must.

You are absolutely right about looking for a review.

I will look into it, Does anyone know of any reputable review sites?

Thanks Eric for the tip.

xoxo