Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 3, 2003, 1:09 AM   #1

Default needed info on a good cheap 4 -5 MP camera that uses xD card

Greetings all,

I currently have the Fuji FinePix 2650 and would like to upgrade later on in the year (about 5-7 months down the road)... I'd like to know of a good 4-5 MP camera that uses the xD Picture card (I love the format).

It needs to be able to do the following:

1. a night mode
2. handle contrasts between shadows and light
3. handle moving objects
4. use the xD Picture Card
5. have good color saturation
6. 3x optical zoom
7. be good on battery consumption
8. black and white mode
9. panaramic mode

Being able to put on differant lenses would be nice but not needed.

I'm not looking for any fancy bells and whistles... just a good point and shoot camera.

I'd like it to be in about 5-7 months time be down to or under 350 - 400 dollars.

With the convention going on now I hope to get a good 4-5 MP camera in a few months fairly reasonable.

What do you recomend I look into?

Thanks,
Joe
JoeBoeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2003, 7:19 AM   #2

The Olympus C5050 would be my recommendation.

Reasons:
F1.8 lens
Three media modes, Compact Flash, Smart Media, Xdcard
Great optics
5mp
3x optical
photo assist lamp
moveable lcd
movie mode with sound
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 7:41 AM   #3
NHL

Quote:
needed info on a good cheap 4 -5 MP camera that uses xD card
Why xD only? It seems to me like one should pick one of the more popular format, at least to get better pricing on flash cards! Unless one just want to narrow the choice to just Fuji and Olympus cameras... What about moving up to a dSLR or 'borrow' a card from a family member or friends? Promising higher density card is nice, but 1G in other format can be gotten now and cheap too! Look @ the estimated pricing on 1G MemoryStick...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 10:17 AM   #4

NHL,
I think the C-5050 covers most of the bases as far as media is concerned.What other camera right now,gives you that many choices of media ie.Compact Flash One,Compact Flash Two,IBM Microdrive,smartmedia,andXD media.The C-5050 also seems to cover all his other requirements and he did not mention anything about DSLR.He will be able to share more media with friends and family than just about any other camera out there.I agree with gibsonpd3620.This matches his criteria more than any other right now.All except cheap and even that is dependent upon the finances of the individual.Besides it takes great pictures!:&lt
My $.02

Ray

D490Z,C-5050
EasyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 10:46 AM   #5
NHL

I don't disagree with the selection... Just that one should not select a camera based on xD as a priority (or MemoryStick). It'll be a while before xD can compete with CF or at all... In fact the 5050 will be pretty lame if it did not support CF, and just xD only a negative rather than a positive feature wouldn't you think so?

Just [email protected] the latest new: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...082&highlight=
Old Mar 3, 2003, 5:11 PM   #6

I agree with NHL that we should want more than one media type supported by new cameras. The cost of the CF cards are dropping faster than the stock market.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 12:18 AM   #7

I'd just like to say, with adapters u can use xd in cf camera, so id go w/ something that can use cf if mem card is a major consideration for u.
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 5:29 AM   #8
NHL

Quote:
with adapters u can use xd in cf camera
A very good advertising point... but not very practical really!

Why would anyone buy a more expensive xD card for the same capacity than CF (if it exist @ all) and then add a CF adapter at an additional cost to be able to use it in CF slots? Why not just get CF in the 1st place or use the extra $ for faster cards?

BTW the same argument apply for sD/MMC too... and they are already available in higher densities than xD :? :? :?
Old Mar 5, 2003, 8:20 AM   #9

just to let you all know by sticking with CF you can have all the other formats except of course memory stick( too large at this point).

there are adapters that fit in a CF slot and allow the CF user to use SD/MMC and xD without any real problem. i was over in frankfurt 2wks ago and i saw the xD/CF adapters and panasonic and mittoni market the SD/MMC/CF adapter at this point.

yes the 5050 is multi talented in the card dept but as you know change is inevitable and CF is still the defacto standard in the upper end cameras. the promise of bigger MB/GB cards still puts CF on top too. its size alone gives it room to grow. they can slap a lot of cells into that little box.

http://www.mittoni.com/securedigital/adapter2.html

http://www.mbi.panasonic.co.jp/corp/...ws/020711.html

above: sorry it's in japanese

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_xd.asp

this shows that CF is the most adaptable and versatile of all the current formats.

why would i want to adapt these to my cf---worst case scenerio issues.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 11:49 AM   #10

Greetings,

Thanks guys, the C-5050 looks like a mighty good camera for what I need. I like that it has a spot for an external flash. it has a lot of nifty features.

The reason I wanted a camera that uses the xD card is because I don't want to many differant types of media to have to keep track of. I already have the Finepix 2650 which uses xD and I don't see myself needing any card larger than a 256 MB size ( I should have mentioned this origionally).

I like that xD-CF adapter... that will work wonders in my printer since my printer takes every media but xD.

I'll try not to limit myself on media for my next camera but if I get the C-5050 I'll be able to use all the main media as well.

Again, thanks.

From,
Joe

P.S.
Any idea what the Olympus C-5050 will run for on ebay in about 7 months? I see it on ebay at times for about $450.00-$525.00.
JoeBoeing is offline   Reply With Quote