Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 3, 2003, 11:36 PM   #1

Default Tricky Exposure

Just a qquickie with exposure. I take a lot of beach shots and with the sun to my back (ideal conditions) i drop the exposure one stop to allow for the brightness (i'm in australia so the sun is fierce).

To be honest though, when i get my shots on my PC I should have UPPED the exposure one stop because the shots come out a tad too dark (under exposed). Is thois right or has my Fuji got a bug?
Alfisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2003, 11:46 PM   #2

I think it's normal because the average metering take into account the whole scene which is very bright, so your subject become darker than you expect. Try spot metering.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 11:50 PM   #3

PS: I think a polarizer will help a lot with beach shots, not sure, may be someone with more experience may tell us if it's true.
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2003, 12:40 AM   #4

Yeah i think a polarizer is essential here because the sun can be so strong. I have NFI what spot metering is, my camera has only basic (but still usefull) manual settings.

So what you're saying is, the camera thinks "bugger, this is REAL bright, i'll drop the exposure a tad" .. and it takes it too far so i need to go the other way??

The LCD is tricky to see unless it's indoors.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 2:01 AM   #5

Your normal exposure setting targets everything...using Spot focusing the camera is getting most of its expsoure information from within the target marks in the viewfinder.

(you didn't mention which camera beyond "Fuji" so can't even tell if your camera has it or how to turn it on, always mention with technical questions which camera you have)
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2003, 2:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_PEAT
Your normal exposure setting targets everything...using Spot focusing the camera is getting most of its expsoure information from within the target marks in the viewfinder.

(you didn't mention which camera beyond "Fuji" so can't even tell if your camera has it or how to turn it on, always mention with technical questions which camera you have)
Ahhh Ok it's the 3800 ... just right for me because i am learning and it takes great shots when i hit the mark but I think i stuffed up on the beach.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 6:01 AM   #7

Have a look at the histogram on shots in the cam next time. Even with spot metering you must decide which parts of the scene are to be metered for 'normal' exposure. In very bright sunlight on a beach (if you can see the lcd) I'd try a shot and check the highlights on the histogram are not clipped (many values at 254/255). If your cam hasn't got Histogram read out - ignore.

Fortunately, pulling up exposure in post should be easier as the cam noise levels will be low.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2003, 6:20 AM   #8

Light sand is much the same issue as snow - you want to open up about a stop. If the sand/snow dominates the picture, you still want it to come out white - not gray.

If you have manual settings, you can take the exposure off a gray card. Since I often forget my gray card, I have found that reading the exposure off the palm of my hand and then opening one stop works very well.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote