Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 4, 2006, 5:57 AM   #11

I'm slowly getting somewhere with my camera now.

In my questto understand digital photography, I will probably ask some dumb sounding questions.

The following question is really bugging me at the moment:

While in Aperture priority mode, what part of the camera is being adjustedwhen I increase or decrease (EV)?..... It cant be the aperturebecause that's what the F-stopfunction adjusts,it cant be the shutter speed because that is automatically adjusted in Aperture priority mode & and it cant be ISO because that isalready set.

So why haveand what is the EV function??

Ithink Iknow what EV stands for [exposure value],but I thought exposure was something that is adjusted using a mixture of F-stops, ISO& shutter speed.

So this single function for making EV adjustments is a mystery to me, even though it seems to work.

I hope you understand my question, and can perhaps explain to me the answer in not to complicated alingo.

Many thanks

5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:03 AM   #12

It should be the shutter speed. The EV tweak modifies the automatic choice made by the camera. Similarly, in Shutter priority mode, it would be the aperture. The expectation in each case is that you set what you meant in the given mode, and the automatically-supplied part from the camera algorithm wasn't quite what you needed to go with it.

BTW, you will be very lucky indeed if your questions are dumber than the answers they recieve!

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:31 AM   #13

Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:31 AM   #14

Many thanks tclune

I think I understand now.

I take it that the EV setting is not a function you should always expect to find on a camera then, more likely its a function to just help the newbie.

This function is not very clearly defined in the "H1 white pages instructions" online, nor is is described at all in Digital Photography For Dummies book!.

So because theEV function isn't featuredin many written guides,I am finding it a little frustrating as I don't how I am affecting other aspects of my cameras set-up in order to get a good shot.

Or can I trust the image on theLCD monitorafter making my EVadjustments to be an accurate portrayal of the final printed picture?

My brain hurts!!

When I get my head round all of this ill start enjoying myself a little more.

Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:51 AM   #15

Actually, most newbies wouldn't adjust the EV at all. It is a really convenient way to fine-tune your semi-automatic settings. The LCD can give you a pretty good sense of what to expect, but you really need to live with your camera a while to get used to it. You may find that the LCD usually looks a bit brighter than printed pictures from the photo service you normally use, for example. If so, you may learn to compensate for the LCD to get the prints you are looking for. The appearance of the same image file will vary markedly with computer monitor, photo printing service, what-have-you. It is a real pain, and one reason that many folks choose to print their own photos at home -- so they can get a print that reflects the image that they felt that they had captured in the camera.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:34 AM   #16

Thanks for replying tclune

I understand a little more now.

Before this camera, all iv ever used have been small instant cameras with film, so apart from this being my first digi camera, its also the first camera that iv had the option to use manually.

Shame about the colour differences on the computermonitor compared to developed photos in store, my plan was to get the photos that I really like developed in store.