Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 26, 2005, 6:31 AM   #1

Christmas is here, and so I finally have my H1 :-)

So now the confusion sets in.

I am spending the day playing with my new toy, and it appears I am taking some wonderful snaps of my family.

At the moment I am using AUTO mode for everything, and I am happy with the results!... but according to the white paper - http://www.aakatz.com/h1whitepaper/ I shouldn't be happy with my results, and so now my brain isnow hurting from trying to understand how to shoot manually.

Is it cheating to be using AUTO mode?

Even reading the white paperis to complicated for me to really getmy head round how to manually shoot.

I wish there was an easier to understand guide.

Thanks for reading.

5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:41 AM   #2

If you are happy with your photos, you are the final judge. There's no need to feel like you must be critical of your camera or your shots. Be happy and enjoy.
overworkedbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:52 AM   #3

Use the auto, if you don't understand the terminology of shooting manually your pictures can only get worse. But it doesn't hurt to learn, you might pick up a book on photography. learning to shoot manually, broadens your options.
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 11:22 AM   #4

You may find that some of the scenic mode options -- like shooting fireworks, or portraits, or landscapes, give you improved results on those specific kinds of scenes. You can get a bit more control by using those when appropriate. Later, you may start using one of the semi-auto modes -- aperture priority or shutter priority. They give you additional freedom as you find the need for it. It is relatively rare to feel the need to use full manual mode. But the most important thing is to concentrate on the image that you are trying to capture. If you know what you are trying to commit to "film" and are unable to do so with the settings in auto or one of the scenes, then you need to consider exploring some more manual control. Butphotography is notabout the buttons on the camera -- it's about the image on the paper.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:13 PM   #5

Thanks forthe advice.

AS an experiment I tried full manual, making adjustments to some F numbers and ISO etc etc..... what a mess I made of my cat, a steady shot of my sleeping cat was acomplete blur.

I will do as you say and take things one step at a time.

I like the book idea, but I wonder if I cant just find the same info online?

Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:35 PM   #6

From one of our members...

http://www.airshowfan.com/guide-to-d...3.htm#creative

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:37 PM   #7

Thanks.

Air show fan!... thats handy, iv got between now and the summer to be good enough to take some nice snaps at Farnborough air show :-)

Old Dec 26, 2005, 1:28 PM   #8

I had not thought about it, but I have a Photo Words Dictionary on my web-site. It lists F Stop, ISO, Aperture, and others. Gives an explanation of the term, andtheir relationship to light, and each other. You might find this handy in your learning experience.

http://blueridgesnaps.50webs.com/index_2.html
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:14 PM   #9

Ha! Thanks, theHun!

Grrr, I wish I could go to Farnborough sometime! And RIAT and MAKS and AXALP and Le Bourget... But then again, I do get to go to plenty of great shows in the US so I can't complain!

The H1 is definitely one of THE fixed-lens digital cameras to have at an airshow. 12x zoom, fairly fast, image-stabilized (just make sure you switch that IS to panning mode).

As for my page on picture-taking,the part onexposing well with manual controlsis a little higher on the page, at

http://airshowfan.com/guide-to-digit...s-3.htm#manual

(the "#...creative" part is nearer the end).

And if you do want to learn how to use that camera to take good airshow pictures, there is no better place to learn (and to ask questions to friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful airshow photographers) than

http://www.fencecheck.com/forums

It's where I learned most of what I know, over the past 2 years. (If only I knew about Steve's forums back then).

airshowfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 3:15 AM   #10

Thanks airshowfan

Your photos are amazing, and make any photos I took in past visits laughable.

I am lucky in that I live just 12 miles from Farnborough.

First thing I will do today is go to town and look for someAA rechargeables that will give me plenty of time to play with my camera and not die on me after a few hours, I hope!