Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 4, 2003, 9:12 PM   #1

Default airport scanning and digicams?

I'm new to these cameras (in fact, I have yet to buy my first!) but am cruious as I'll be taking it overseas; with all the advanced X-ray and electronic equipment both checked and carry on luggage is exposed to these days, are their any concerns for digicams or memory cards or any other stuff I should be concerned with?
mr. natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2003, 9:17 PM   #2

I just came back from a trip and the scanning systems did not affect the media at all.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 8:46 AM   #3

xray units have no effect on the media or the camera. did 2 trips to europe in the past 2 wks. also don't forget that dose you and your stuff get for flying at high altitude for x amount of hours to where ever your going.

film on the other hand will be an issue with the new Envision units the TSA is using. hand search is advised.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2003, 9:09 AM   #4

My camera (Nikon Coolpix 5000) has gone through at least 50 checkpoint/scans at airports and everything is still working great. There should be no problems with any camera.
Patarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 5:07 AM   #5

Hey Patarix you dont need an assistant do you
lipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 1:19 PM   #6

Not so sure about Microdrives and those body search wands though! Don't they work like metal detectors with relatively low frequency energised search coils?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 1:30 PM   #7
NHL

Vox

My 3.5" floppies has passed this test with flying color... The microdrive usually stayed in the camera and is scanned on the moving belt just like your laptop!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 1:35 PM   #8

Just imagine how many credit cards would have been erased if the wands really do magnetic damage (or do they now tell you to take out your wallet and any magnetic cards...been a while since I travelled).
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 2:43 PM   #9

actually your wallet gets nucked normally in the xray machine after you empty your pockets of every scrap

you'll find that the battery powered wands are of the low level variety. i've brought software through in pkgs and been wanded. survival rate is high.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 3:17 PM   #10

Gentlemen (and ladies), I've got no problem with solid state media, or the actual media used in discs since the magnetic force needed to write the media is far higher than what these things in free field can produce.

But I have concerns about that micro-miniature parked head and mechanics that flies across the disc surface with incredible precision - after you've subjected that lot to a rapidly changing electro-magnetic field of some considerable Oersteds (yes I'm that old) from a concentrated loop.

I wouldn't 'park' my microdrive to close to big electric motors, loudspeakers, or a de-gaussing coil either!

Quote:
The microdrive usually stayed in the camera and is scanned on the moving belt
That's OK 'cos it's X-ray!

Now do you get my point?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote