Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 5, 2003, 9:38 PM   #1

Default Slow Camera

I have a Coolpix 950 that I bought and have been using since 1999. It seems too take a very long time to be ready for the next photo and then when I release the shutter I have to sometimes wait up to 10 seconds before the flash goes off and the photo is taken. If I am taking a photo of my small children, for example they usually have quit smilling and are looking the other way when the picture is finally taken. My question is are the newer cameras any faster more like a film camera?

I was looking at Sony's new Cyber-shot DSC-V1 here.
TIA, Dick
flynez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2003, 11:03 PM   #2

Default Re: Slow Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynez
.... have to sometimes wait up to 10 seconds before the flash goes off and the photo is taken ...
Does that only occur between flash pictures? Likely it is due to the time it takes to "recharge" the flash from the internal camera batteries at the same time the camera itself is using a fair amount of power to writet the image to memory. If that is the case, you are going to run into it with any built in flash unit - though perhaps not quite as long.

That is one of the basic problems with built-in flash units. A couple of other "features" of built in flash is that they are small (glare), close to the lens (red-eye), and weak (run off the camera's batteries).

If you want to take flash pictures quickly, you need an external unit with lots of heavy batteries.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 6:01 PM   #3

Thanks for the responce:

"Does that only occur between flash pictures? Likely it is due to the time it takes to "recharge" the flash from the internal camera batteries at the same time the camera itself is using a fair amount of power to writet the image to memory. If that is the case, you are going to run into it with any built in flash unit - though perhaps not quite as long. "

It also is very slow taking outside shots without the flash. Is there anything in camera specification that will give you a clue as to how how much time you need to alow between shots? Actually I think I am trying to justify, to the wife, the latest state of the art camera. :twisted:
Old Mar 6, 2003, 6:07 PM   #4

A few questions:

- What file format are you saving the pictures in? Something like TIFF will take far longer than a JPG to write to the card.

- Have you checked the camera to make sure it's not in the self-timer mode?

- Has it always been this slow, or is this a recent phenomenon?

Sorry, I know these are basic questions, but one never knows...
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 10:14 PM   #5

I will answer your questions.
- What file format are you saving the pictures in? Something like TIFF will take far longer than a JPG to write to the card.
ans: JPG XGA Fine

Have you checked the camera to make sure it's not in the self-timer mode? ans: This camera must be set into Self-timer mode each time it is turned on as it resets back to normal shutter operation.

Has it always been this slow, or is this a recent phenomenon? ans: It has seemed to get worse in the four years that I have had it.

For example I was trying to take some aerial shots from my airplane, yesterday, by myself and it made me somewhat uncomfortable to keep watching through the viewfinder for 10 sec or so after depressing the shutter while the airplane was more or less flying its self.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 11:26 PM   #6

Assuming you are using rechargeable batteries, are you still using the same ones you had when you first bought the camera? NiMhs have a limited lifetime of 500-1000 charges, and although they may have the voltage they may no longer have the same current capacity. If so suggest getting a new set.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 10:13 AM   #7

You may have hit on to my problem Mike. They seem to charge normal, but they are old. I will replace a set and try it. Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2003, 1:16 PM   #8

Also reformat your media in the cam. in case it's got fragmented.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 5:12 PM   #9

Will do-thanks
Old Mar 28, 2003, 3:45 AM   #10

It's been almost 3 weeks, any news...did the solutions work?
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote