Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:02 PM   #1

I have been accused of having to bare of walls in my office at work. If I see a picture I like, what is the proper protocol.. do I just contact the person? Or is anything posted on these forums "fair game?"

Thanks,

Mark Lebbin

[email protected]

mwlebbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:24 AM   #2

Im sure if you simply PM that person and ask him/her if you can print a picture that they posted up they would be happy that you have intrest in their photo and they would allow you to make a print. I guess that way it should be OK unless if you are trying to sell their prints or something.

One thing though, most of the pictures are crop, shrunk to make uploading easier so you might want to ask if they would kindly send you the orginal and make a print off of that.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:15 AM   #3

Thanks! As a new member I plan on putting up some pics but currently, I am just sitting by watching. I am looking forward to the "challenges" thanks for the response!

Old Dec 31, 2005, 5:10 PM   #4

The instant someone takes a picture they own the copyright. So I can guarrenty you that nothing on this web forum or anywhere else on the web is "fair game" unless it is specifically stated as such.

But there are many nice people on this forum and I bet if you asked nicely they wouldn't mind if you printed a copy of their images. The key being that you ask.

I appreciate that you took the time to ask this, instead of just doing it. As a person who sells his images, I care that you asked. Almost no one does.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 7:12 PM   #5

Usually I only get five cents worth for my photos posted here.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 10:22 PM   #6

I doubt if the images posted here have sufficient resolution for printing at any quality. If someone links to a full resolution image, that is a different question. I also do not post images which I plan to use commercially, as I assume they are subject to being used without permission if I put them in a public forum. So if you see anything I have posted that you like, go right ahead. No harm, no foul.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 7:29 AM   #7

Beyond the important legal (copyright) and courtesy (ask before taking something) issues, there is attribution. One thing thatseems tobring just about every photographer's temper up to a boil is seeing someone elseclaim they shottheir photo. Most often it is an implied claim - not saying who made the shoot.

So if you do print out a photo, it would be reasonableput something like this in themargin
Quote:
f/stop fitzgeraldSteve's Digicam's (http://www.steves-digicams.com/) photo of the day Feb 31, 2009
Being on a dial-up connection, I hope that any photo you find will be unprintable larger than postcard with wide margins. Compression and downsizing save a lot of bandwidth butare badfor quality.

_________

Anyone have an explaination of setting the font size to default?

BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:04 AM   #8

Bill Drew,

I shoot mainly sports photos for a small newspaper, but occassionally I cover fun runs, turkey trots, triathalons and that sort of thing.

I submitted my photos to a charity website several years ago and they posted my photos without attribution.

The following year, for the same event, I submitted my photos but mentioned my photos could only be used on their websiteif properly attributed me.

They got all *hitty with me about it and told me they would not use my photos.

I then asked them to remove about the 20 or so photos of mine currently being used on their website that they had been using for over a year without attribution.

Interestingly enough, the event folded.They didn't seem to be getting any newspaper coverage.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:14 AM   #9

Why would people have a problem giving you credit???? It wasn't like you were asking for money or anything.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:42 AM   #10

mwlebbin,
Who knows? There are some strange people in this world.

BillDrew,
attribution is a very good point, thanks for bringing it up. That is something that makes me even more mad than when someone steals my image. Since I almost always stamp my copyright into the image that means they actively removed the copyrigth notice.. and that really makes me mad (and it opens them up to even larger law suits in the US.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote