Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 6, 2003, 2:58 PM   #1

Default FoolProof way to not get scammend /Ebay

This is what I do to weed out the scammers.
Lets say I want to buy an eos 1d.
I email the seller and tell them I live in the same city as they do.
I then tell them I have cash and can drive over now.
I want to look at camera and make sure it works OK.
If they dont respond they are a scammer.

It works everytime.
killsadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2003, 3:19 PM   #2

I certainly wouldn't respond to that...you could be a thief making a shopping list. I wouldn't even meet you in a public place for fear of you grabbing it off me.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 11:39 PM   #3
Administrator

I've bought and sold a lot of digicams on eBay but I think I would stick to a real dealer for any high ticket item. Canon cameras have no warranty unless bought from an authorized dealer. As for those guys hawking the expensive dSLR cameras - with no reserve - this should be your first clue that it's a scam :shock:

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 10:50 AM   #4

Default Re: FoolProof way to not get scammend /Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by killsadam
...It works everytime.
Keep in mind that the easiest person to swindle is someone who knows how to spot a swindle. That is because they know how to spot particular swindle(s) - not all of them.

Using the method you outlined, if I wanted to swindle you, I'd simply say, "Sure, lets meet at the coffee shop at Third & Main". If you show up, I let you test the camera, downloading images to the laptop you brought along, and then switch a broken camera for the one you tested as I pocket your money.

Don't ever think you have a foolproof method of avoiding scam artists. That certainty will lead you into traps.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 11:04 AM   #5

killsadam

The contract on Ebay says that once an item has been bid on you can not remove the item. Your process is lacks some merit. I would not respond to you and I have an excellent rating as an Ebayer. Check the person's feedback and you can determine that person's reputation as a seller. When you see a baragain to good to be true then it is usally not a baragain.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 5:32 PM   #6
lg

Default Re: FoolProof way to not get scammend /Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by killsadam
...It works everytime.
Don't ever think you have a foolproof method of avoiding scam artists. That certainty will lead you into traps.
And always remember, Nothing is foolproof, because fools are so ingenious! :lol:
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 9:31 PM   #7

Default one other way not to be scammed on ebay

Always make sure you pay by credit card. That way, if you end up getting ripped-off, you can have the credit card company go after them for you. NEVER pay by check, money order, bank account transfer, etc.
ruzicka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:49 PM   #8

Interesting thread here...

Some good points have been made.

No, I do not agree with method to ask to meet. You, as buyer, are presenting yourself to seller falsely (unless you do, indeed, live
in same town) as being a local citizen.

Basically, I trust my gut...

Here is what I peruse...

Composition of ad- Is seller illiterate? Negative number one.
Feedback - Not just positive but content of positive esp timeliness of delivery and good communication. Delays in ship or bad comm
negative number two.
How quickly does seller respond to a question before a sale
and is it a reasonable answer? If no or little or late response
then negative number three.

If 1/3 or more of above, I "walk".

Two cents
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2003, 11:47 AM   #9

Bought a 14.5hp nearly new briggs motor on ebay - too cheap to be true - no other bidders.
guy didnt talk much in emails - said it was maybe 50hrs use, and perfect, starts right up.

Well,,,, maybe it was perfect .. about 5yrs ago - starter had been on/off several times and its bolt holes stripped in the block. helicoils fixed easy enough here. Heck it probably would have fallen off if started.... `starts right up. haha

It's starter drive gear was on upside down & had a huge ground wire. This guy must have worked on this for hours with a starting problem..... float bowl wouldnt come off because it was solid packed in rust around the float... starts right up.. haha can of cleaner and some gaskets,,,,
Wouldn't crank.... `starts right up.... haha
Studied that gear some, still wont crank,,,, adjust valves(compression release works now)... motor is spotless, engine insides are spotless.

Guy sort of suckered me,,, but in reality he suckered himself because he never adjusted his valves that first time and then he must have let it set and his gas tank filled with rust.
Imagine it cost him over $600 for a replacement. He probably used it one year in Idaho or he was somewhere up that way in cold country.

Very good deal for me, i can spin a wrench - I bet he's still fighting starting problems with his new motor,,, his gas tank is still full of rust.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote