Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 6, 2003, 1:58 PM   #1

Default Digital Camera Gift

Hi,

Great forum!

I want to buy my Mom a Digital Camera for her Birthday. Mom has wanted one for a long time, but is intimidated by them. She is an amateur photographer, but hasn't taken pictures in a long while. She really likes to though, and I think it would be great if she could start again.

She has a really good computer now, and it can handle a good camera. She isn't the most computer savvy beyond surfing, but she can learn.

I know nothing about digital cameras. I caught this link from a CD-RW forum. So, I need some help here. I need suggestions on a very good camera. Besides the usual 'it has to take excellent pictures' and the like, I need one that:

1. Is not too difficult to learn. More Point and Shoot, but available with other settings as well.

2. Something that is not too heavy and she can hold and steady it easily. As well as something not too big for travel.

3. A camera with a good zoom. I know she likes that feature a lot. I guess a camera where the zooming is not too difficult to do.

4. Something that goes from camera to computer with out much difficulty. I guess that might be software, I don't know. Her new computer has USB 2.0 and Firewire.

I also think a company with good tech support is important.

I don't want to go over $500.00, but I also wouldn't mind it more in the $400 range. She is my Mom afterall, so I can not skimp.

Any help much appreciated. I don't have a digital camera myself, and I am not even an amateur photographer. I rarely am the one who takes the pictures. So, if there is anything I need to know, or you think I should look out for when buying a camera, please let me know.

Thank you.
Empty7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2003, 3:51 PM   #2
lg

I'd take a hard look at the new Olympus C-740 when it is available. It fits the specific criteria you mentioned (1. point and shoot with optional shutter/aperture/manual; 2. compact design, retractable lens 3. 10x optical zoom! 4. Auto-USB for file transfers. Street price should be about $499.

Other options in the Olympus line are: C-730, which the 740 will be replacing, and the D-550 if you are willing to sacrifice zoom for a more compact size (only 3x zoom).

If size isn't that important, you might consider the Olympus C2100, which is out of production. It has the look and feel of a SLR type camera, but has a 10x stabilized zoom, which makes it easier to focus on objects far away. It's quite easy to use, also.

Please understand that I am not against other brands of cameras-- it's just that I am very familiar with Olympus cameras. There are excellent choices out there from other manufacturers, but I'll let others offer their suggestions and experience with them. If you have any specific questions, just ask!

Edited 3/6/03 6:24pm (Thanks, Hyun!)
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 3:53 PM   #3

If I may offer a correction: that should be C-730 and C-740, not D-. D-550 is correct, though it's been discontinued and a successor (D-560Z) has been announced. Pretty much same deal as the D-550, except that it uses xD and not SmartMedia (SM maxes out at 128MB, xD cards have higher maximum capacity).
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 4:07 PM   #4

The Olympus C-740 sounds good to me. Will it be out soon? Since you are so familiar with Olympus, what is your opinion on the
C-50? How does that stack up to the C-740? Thank you for your reply.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 4:56 PM   #5

The C-740 is due out in April, and the C-750 is due out in May.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 5:40 PM   #6
lg

The C-50 is a very nice camera; compared to the C-740, it has 5 vs 3 MP, is more compact, and only has a 3x zoom instead of 10. It also takes a proprietary lithium battery, which costs more to replace than AA's (whatever camera you purchase, I'd recommend getting at least one set of extra batteries, because most digicams have high power requirements). If you are considering the C-50, I believe I would try to find the 4MP D-40 instead, which has automatic noise reduction on low light shots greater than 1/2 sec. There has been some discussion of poorer low light photography with the C-50, which may also be a concern. Perhaps owners or users of the C-50 can provide more input.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 6:47 PM   #7

Hi Empty 7,

You are most kind to think of your mother.

Rather than get her a camera she might like do this:

Go to a Best Buy in your area, preferably at a mall
so you can take Mom to lunch.

Then you can "innocently" look at digital cameras
after lunch.

Watch her reactions as she handles the various
cameras. Buy her the one that makes her smile
the most

Also, get her a 6-in-reader and show her how to use
it . The reader will allow you to download the photos
without the need to install proprietary software from
the computer vendor.

Go on Ebay to get her some extra memory too

Go on now.....make that call. Setup the lunch date
at the mall w/Mom.

Two cents
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 7:23 PM   #8

Default Re: Digital Camera Gift

Hi ,
I feel quite confident (having six digital cam's myself) and having been a camera salesman in the past and having cameras as a hobby for - well a long long time- Your mother would be very happy to own the Olympus D 550, now selling at Walmart for 297. This is a 3 meg.cam, it is compact- weighing in at only 8 oz. Uses 4 NIMH rechargeable AA batteries (much more economical than the lithium ion batteries the pros use.). This one fits easily into a pocketbook. The Olympus lenses are very hi quality. The flash is a bit more powerful than a number of cams. It uses smart media cards which are economical- She'll also need a 'reader', extra AA NiMH batteries, and a charger. Perhaps a 128 meg smart card for around 40 dollars (on sale) would be good too.. Best wishes- :roll

Great forum!

I want to buy my Mom a Digital Camera for her Birthday. Mom has wanted one for a long time, but is intimidated by them. She is an amateur photographer, but hasn't taken pictures in a long while. She really likes to though, and I think it would be great if she could start again.

She has a really good computer now, and it can handle a good camera. She isn't the most computer savvy beyond surfing, but she can learn.

I know nothing about digital cameras. I caught this link from a CD-RW forum. So, I need some help here. I need suggestions on a very good camera. Besides the usual 'it has to take excellent pictures' and the like, I need one that:

1. Is not too difficult to learn. More Point and Shoot, but available with other settings as well.

2. Something that is not too heavy and she can hold and steady it easily. As well as something not too big for travel.

3. A camera with a good zoom. I know she likes that feature a lot. I guess a camera where the zooming is not too difficult to do.

4. Something that goes from camera to computer with out much difficulty. I guess that might be software, I don't know. Her new computer has USB 2.0 and Firewire.

I also think a company with good tech support is important.

I don't want to go over $500.00, but I also wouldn't mind it more in the $400 range. She is my Mom afterall, so I can not skimp.

Any help much appreciated. I don't have a digital camera myself, and I am not even an amateur photographer. I rarely am the one who takes the pictures. So, if there is anything I need to know, or you think I should look out for when buying a camera, please let me know.

Thank you.[/quote]
guilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2003, 9:09 PM   #9

Mike_PEAT- Thanks for the information

lg-Thanks, I will take a look at the D-40 too.

digcamfan-Yes, I am going to get her a card reader. I am going to get one for myself too. *lol*
Going to the mall is a good idea, but both of us don't know much about digital cameras. I would not want her to pick out something she really liked that turned out to be a really bad camera. That is why I am doing some research on the net. No offense to guilin's past profession, but I rather not trust some salesman at the camera shop for everything, *lol*.

guilin-Thanks, I'll take a look at the Olympus D-550 too. It has a good price, which is appealing. AA Batteries are a plus too I guess.
Old Mar 6, 2003, 11:31 PM   #10

I hope you do not require audio. Otherwise, you may try Canon A40, A60, A70 or Minolta Dimage X, Xi or Xt. I wonder why Olympus do not include audio and TV out for PAL system. They have only NTSC.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote