Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 8, 2003, 4:38 AM   #11

Default Re: LCD vs CRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by normc
I solved my print problems by gong to a Sony LCD monitor. It to is not perfect....but it has worked very well.
For photo editing LCD monitors are NOT recommended...CRT is still the better device for colour critical work. LCD still has a long way to go before they have the colour accuracy the CRT has, not to mention the lack of available resolutions.

Not only is the LCD inferior (if you are serious about photo editing) and you are paying a premium for that inferior product, but the LCD has a much shorter life (the backlight), and less expensive LCDs might not have uniform backlighting...as well they can develop glitches (columns or rows of pixels that suddenly become stuck in one colour).

I went through all this just a few weeks ago when I went shopping for a new monitor (to replace my still perfectly working seven year old 15" but wanted a bigger screen), and I researched it thoroughly...I chose a 19" CRT, the Samsung 957mb (note it's not Trinitron/Aperture-Grill so it doesn't have those stupid two or three black horizontal lines that drive me up the wall) and I'm very happy with my choice. It comes with its own colour profile on CD, and is interfaced not only through the video port but also through the USB port for colour control.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 7:51 AM   #12
NHL

I agree with Mike_Peat here on the quality of CRT monitors over LCDs... not the least of which the Spyder color calibration tool with the baffle option for LCD costs more than double that of a CRT! (BTW IBM does make a $25,000 LCD that is close in quality to the ouput of a CRT... so they do exist, but not what you can buy @ retail). I can't argue it's appealing form factor over the bulk of CRT though (or the recommended biweekly color cal for CRTs) ops:

Hiking Girl

Some time postings doesn't show and get missed when one clicks on 'view all posts since last visit', also your question was too general until it was clearly defined (... in the other post). ie All profiles go into a directory until it's called up by the application that uses it. Hope this help:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...?p=34897#34897

The application in this case is Photoshop 7, hence you should turn off the color management option in your print dialog box!!!
Do Image/Mode/Convert in Photoshop instead, then use Print with Preview dialog in Photoshop and see how it converts on the fly from the Source color space > default working color space (sRGB/Adobe RGB etc) > and then your Print space...

Also see here: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7848

You're an OK Hiking Girl... BTW this is just a hobby so don't be too hard on us guys!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 2:28 PM   #13

Default A big thanks

Wow, there are some really smart folks out there. Thanks for all the information. You probably saved my marriage, prolonged my life, kept me from going postal etc etc. These profiles work great now. I guess my only question now is why does photoshop 7 now advise I have a profile mismatch?. My nikon is adjusted to adobe RGB and Photoshop 7 is adjusted to adobe RGB. I remember seeing in an advanced book on photoshop to ignorre the profile. Which way do I go gang? My husband, reading this over my shoulder, is telling me that my blonde hair is showing thru. Excuse me while I pound him. JK
Thanks again both ladies and gentlemen
Hiking girl
hiking girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 9:44 PM   #14
NHL

Quote:
You probably saved my marriage, prolonged my life, kept me from going postal etc etc.
Woa, I knew it I should have gone to Med school instead... :lol: :lol: :lol:
This is a camera forum and most of us weenies here are more interested in the latest and 'bad'est hardware! It would have been a lot different if you have posted in a Photoshop's users forum where there are some real experts there...

Quote:
These profiles work great now. I guess my only question now is why does photoshop 7 now advise I have a profile mismatch?
I wouldn't worry about it, it's like the speed warning on your car that beeps at you when you go pass 55mph! Seriously my monitor is calibrated with Colorvision and I also get a warning everytime I open up Photoshop because of this. I guess it's kind of a reminder that you are now on your own...

BTW in Edit>Preference there's a Reset All Warning Dialogs that you can reset the various dialogs in Photoshop that you don't want them to warn in the future again. Some dialogs are just not part of theses warnings group! ops:
Old Mar 8, 2003, 10:52 PM   #15

Default Re: Is it because I'm a girl???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiking girl
Is this because I'm a girl or is this a very tough question?
Hi Hiking girl,
What a question! Of course it's because the question is too tough ! (for me)
If I knew the answer, I would not let a girl/lady waiting
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 11:03 PM   #16
NHL

Kcan

Toujours ce charme francais heh? :lol: :lol: :lol:

(or is this humeur?)
Old Mar 9, 2003, 3:40 AM   #17

Default Suit Yourself

I will still take my LCD...after 54 "serious" years in graphics of one kind or another...I know what it is that I'm looking at, both on the screen and the printed copy.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 3:47 AM   #18

I admit I don't have that much professional experience (my background includes DTP, darkroom, video studio, graphic arts, restoring photos on the computer) but I still agree with the experts that say a CRT is better, and wouldn't give mine up even if I was given a larger sized LCD for free.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 5:36 AM   #19

Quote:
I know what it is that I'm looking at, both on the screen and the printed copy
Actually, that is the problem. You don't know it's wrong until you understand the complex subject of colorimetry standards. Take colour Gamut. You don't know you have limitations on the colours you see or print until they occur in the scene and don't look quite the same on a display or print. How will you know this? by taking the pic back to the original scene, or seeing somebody elses print. Try shooting a full set of Snooker or pool balls on a green beige, then put the balls alongside your display or print - or shoot some subtle brown colours.

Colour saturation is another area where digital makes compromises to fit in the colour space and range with cost effective processing. If all you want is Power Point pc graphics then I would agree lcd is the Biz.

If I had time I could tell you which colours might be out of range on your display, or the extent to which you will see more aliasing on picture detail, due to the lcd refresh. OK tubes are not perfect - both they and the camera have gamut limits, but I think lcd's have further to go, before they can be trusted for photo work. Have a look at CIE standards for tubes and lcd's (if they spec. them)
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 7:19 AM   #20

Default Yeah Sure

Your guessing? Actually I DO know a lot about what you are suggesting. I started in computer graphics before there were storage tubes and CRT monitors and when I retired I had 42 systems in my graphics lab.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote