Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 9, 2003, 6:47 AM   #21
NHL

CRT has been around and 'proven' for a long time. LCD is still @ the infant stage and could be replaced by newer technologies especially when they have the potential for lower cost and better color, brightness and contrast ratio! http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/c...d2002Lum.shtml

But the original discussion was about profiling and LCD has nothing to do with the subject. The issue was even more muddled by bringing another colorspace into consideration, but I guess we all know this since we are all 'experienced' here: http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/c...es/gamut.shtml

You can't solve your print problem by just changing the display type! You're just lucky that they matched (if @ all)... :lol: :lol: :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 8:50 AM   #22

Default Get a Spyder

Check this link out

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/colo...monitorspyder/

It looks at colors on your monitor with a CCD and then creats a color profile for you from a known color image on the instal CD.

You can get one that scans in prints to cal your printer too.

Downside is they are expensive!!!

Hope this helps.

PS: We love all people here in this forum, sorry if we didn't give you any help sooner. But as you see from the response from your post this time, we wouldn't want you to think we don't like girls. Girls are way cool.
Binji7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 9:05 AM   #23

Default I agree

There is some luck in it all. Both of the systems I now operate from my home support both CRT's and LCD's together and the CRT's have been calibrated. I typically have found the LCD"s work just fine. I always proof my jobs, often several times, before a final print is made. I try to get the shot as perfect as I can right out of the camera and not do a lot of editing. Even tho I have Photoshop I never use it. I use Paintshop Pro with the Color Mechanic plug in. Picture Window, and Next Image for my editing software. I am in favor of using whatever works.

My cameras are: Nikons 775 & 995, Olympus C-2100UZI, Sony 717 plus a batch of add on"s. AND it is all a lot of fun.

Good luck!
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2003, 10:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Gentlemen,
Iv'e tried posting three different times with a question about color profiles for my printer. Is this because I'm a girl or is this a very tough question?
That did the trick.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2003, 7:40 AM   #25

Quote:
It looks at colors on your monitor with a CCD and then creats a color profile for you from a known color image on the instal CD.
We should be clear about one important point. Colour profiles are not a fix for bad colour, fine tune maybe. All the theoretical 68M colours you can use in the colour space, are determined by the specs of the fundamental primaries e.g RGB phosphors in the case of tubes. There are different phosphor standards for what goes into tubes - pc's/ tv's/ North America/Europe/Japan etc. Some colours will be outside the colour space set by these primaries - and will never be reproduced correctly.

So, it is the characteristic of the primaries (or secondary colour inks in printers) which ultimately determine the range of colour you see or print. It's always been the same with film dyes, so not much has changed! The sRGB spec for the camera ccd, is really saying 'this is the primary receptor response' - but some colours will still not be accurately reproduced.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2003, 10:21 AM   #26

best profile is the one that came with my monitor.
everything else screws up the monitor profile files and it takes a lot of effort to go download them again and figure out how install which one and reset a slew of other things back to the defaults.
mikep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2003, 3:05 PM   #27

As an example of this, Not just ICC profiles a la colour, but also monitor brightness/ contrast settings. When windows starts I see the default profile (probably Adobe gamma) , and as windows goes through progressive stages of boot I see at least 2 changes of profile ( one is the GeForce card) until the current wysiwyg prog from Praxisoft makes the final adjustment.

Haven't done it yet, but it's wise to check the install log to find out what's setting up what - you're right though, you can get in a mess trying to be too clever!
Old Mar 13, 2003, 4:32 PM   #28
NHL

Quote:
As an example of this, Not just ICC profiles a la colour, but also monitor brightness/ contrast settings. When windows starts I see the default profile (probably Adobe gamma) , and as windows goes through progressive stages of boot I see at least 2 changes of profile ( one is the GeForce card) until the current wysiwyg prog from Praxisoft makes the final adjustment.
... If you have the Spyder calibration, the Colorvision kicked in as the last step! It also reminds you to re-run it every month (... as the monitor shift color) 8) 8) 8).

Original Icc profile is fine until the CRT (or the backlight in LCD) ages. How can anyone eyeball the full colour spectrum unless you have an instrument to measure it?
Old Mar 13, 2003, 4:48 PM   #29

Exactly, I have access to a Minolta chromaticity meter ( that's the one with the rgb split prism, ccd sensors and lcd readout on the back) so would never trust eyeballs on anything!
Old Mar 13, 2003, 5:09 PM   #30
NHL

From one of my previous post on the Nikon thread:
Quote:
Most of the time colors are expressed as an 8-bit RGB value like (86, 121, 55 - a grassy yellow green) That's because most devices (and the human eye) cannot easily distinguish between two successive values (e.g. that color and (87, 121, 55) would look almost identical)
I bet everyone here that same value would look differently on everyone's monitor if put side by side, unless it's calibrated with a recent profile! For example a red value can go from 0-255, but Vox's red is different from my monitor's red to start with... (or Green, or Blue for that matter) :lol: :lol: :lol: