Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 7, 2003, 2:04 PM   #1

Default Is it because I'm a girl???

Gentlemen,
Iv'e tried posting three different times with a question about color profiles for my printer. Is this because I'm a girl or is this a very tough question? Iv'e read for months and with great admiration the posts on this web site. I just can't figure out why I can't get an answer.
If you know about color profiling for printers could you spare me a few minutes.
Thanks
Sensitive Hiking girl
hiking girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2003, 2:49 PM   #2

I don't use Photoshop so I can't tell you myself (otherwise would have answered already)...I can tell you how to do it in Corel PhotoPaint!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 3:04 PM   #3

I think you already had some answers.

Profiles are only the manufacturers colour correction data file for each device in a system from camera capture to display. Their main use is to emulate the final look of a print on a monitor by adding the plus and minus variations for camera, monitor,printer or scanner - so what you can see is an approximation of what your file will give. Each device can have its own manufacturer profile. BUT these are not perfect - just fiddling with brightness and conrast affects a lot and each printer will be slightly different coming off the line, to the profile they provide. So profiles can at best only be a good guess.

However, if you want to do things with them, and QImage pro has excellent support, you could try putting the files called yourprinter.ICM in the same directory as other similar files on your pc. On my windows 98 they're in C:\windows\system\color.

BUT your editing software must be written to use them.

Profiles don't normally fix problems of printers printing the wrong colours, or cameras used with the wrong white balance, they just add a bit of fine colour tuning. Try a question like 'Photoshop 7, How do I use device colour profiles? - but take the time to check out the help and manual before you ask!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 3:09 PM   #4

Normally, I don't answer postings that fall into two categories:

- I have no idea or informed guesses on the subject matter

- the original post is an obvious trolling attempt

Your posting fell into the first category. Don't take it personally--we're a pretty helpful bunch here and we do try where possible. Color profile matching is a technical field that I'm sure most of hobbyists don't have experiences in.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 3:14 PM   #5

I would post in the qimage section.
Gregersonsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 3:56 PM   #6

Sensitive Hiker;

No gender bias in this group.

I didn't answer your posts 'cause I'm just tryin' to figure this stuff out too...haven't really gotten around to playing with color profiles yet...been reading about them and confusing myself, though...

Was actually kinda coming back to your posts eagerly waiting to see what replys that you got.
rych26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 5:46 PM   #7

Default what a relief

Its really great to find out I'm not the only one foreign to profiling. It's not that I haven't been reading and trying alot of different things. In fact, like most of you, Iv'e spent hours working on trying to perfect this process. I confess, the gender jab was only to get someone to read and respond to this question. This is an incredible site and Iv'e learned so much from all of you. The site I got the color profiles stated that I just convert to these when I print on my s9000. So help me, Iv'e written canon and looked in every technical site I could find to derive an answer. I figured Steve would have this down cold but pehaps this is even new to him. Thanks and if new folks has a suggestion I would love to hear it.
Hiking Girl
hiking girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 5:51 PM   #8

Hiking Girl,

You might want to check out the following link:

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/photoshopcolor/

It has online articles with titles such as "A Compact Guide to Monitor Calibration," "Photoshop Color Management for Photographers," and "Gettle a Handle on Color Management." Hopefully one of these will answer your questions.

Good luck!
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2003, 6:42 PM   #9

Hiking Girl,
I too have looked for information on using profiles with PhotoShop 7 and the S9000. Since I prefer the Pictorico White Film for printing, I went to their site to download their profile for the paper. While their, I found their usage instructions for profiles, and PhotoShop. Here is the URL directly to the PDF file.
https://www.pictorico.com/Con_Images..._ICC_Canon.pdf

Best thing to do is to print these pages, and follow the pictures (instructions) line by line. It worked for me, and I still don't know what I'm doing

Good Luck,
JodyQ
JodyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2003, 3:03 AM   #10

Default ??

I solved my print problems by gong to a Sony LCD monitor. It to is not perfect....but it has worked very well.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote