Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 3, 2006, 8:13 PM   #1

I am about to order a camera. I can save about $100 by buying online. Any stellar or horrible online retailers anyone cares to mention? The best prices for what I want are at Abe's of Maine, MP, BuyDig, Electro, and Beach (all in a $9 range of each other). Given that most places hit you up for 10% if you want to return it, I'd rather try to get satisfied from the git-go. Thanks.
nmlhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:06 PM   #2

go to resellerratings.com and type in the business you want to look at and get ratings for them. I for one use B&H photo because they are local, but they have excellent mail order as well.I have never heard a bad thing about them, im sure others here will agree.

As for the others you mention, I dont know. I have been tempted by Buydig a few times, and I think the general impression I get from my research was good.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 9:58 AM   #3

http://www.bhphoto.com
Really is the best place out there. You might pay a little more, but you'll get great before and after sale service.

Personally, I buy locally for the extra service that I get, and they price match B&H (or come close.) But I've purchased some odds-and-ends from B&H and been very happy.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 10:36 AM   #4

I'd keep your local camera store and give them business. Right now with digital it's hard to keep in business.
It may be more but most of the time they will help you before, during, and after the sale.
CaliBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:38 PM   #5

I search online extensively when I'm about to make a large purchase and the place I bought my own camera and then a second camera as a gift for my kid was from Dell. Dell is notorious for running unadvertised limited time coupon specials. Often, with the coupon discount, the item might be more than $100 less than the next lowest online source. You can find these coupons at www.techbargains.com or www.justdiscounted.com .
FaciaBrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 1:53 PM   #6

Yes, I have been shopping extensively. The best price for the camera, shipping, plus all the other extraneous stuff I will buy with it (adapter, rechargeable batts, memory, etc) is from Amazon. But B & H, which seems to be more highly recommended, is about $15 more, maybe worth the few extra bucks. I have bought lots of books and CDs from Amazon with nary a problem but have never ventured into other merchandise...
nmlhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:19 PM   #7

you cant go wrong with amazon as far as price, and you are not going to get screwed. The return policy is not bad either in general, but im not sure of the one on digital cameras.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:21 PM   #8

I have never had a problem with Amazon, so long as you are buying from Amazon and not the secondary vendors they allow to sell on their site.

Amazon is the only one that offers free shipping!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote