Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:59 PM   #1

Can somebody clue me in on getting my avatar under 15K? Every image I size-down is still over 20K, no matter how crappy the quality. I see some members with nice, clear avatars that are within the size limitation. I'm new to Photoshop... is there somthing I'm missing?

Boldstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:03 AM   #2

Your avatar needs to be less than 200x200 pixels. At that resolutiona JPEG file should easily fit in under 15K, even with a reasonable JPEG quality. Make sure to strip all EXIF information (save for web).
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:05 AM   #3

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Make sure to strip all EXIF information (save for web).
Can you elaborate? I'm a Photoshop simpleton. How do I strip EXIF? And how do I "save for web?" Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:09 AM   #4

Nevermind Caelum, I figured it out. I guess GIFs are much smaller than JPEGs? In any case, I got it to work. Thanks for your help. Brings me back to my the Dreamweaver stuff I learned and forgot! Cheers
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:25 AM   #5

Boldstar wrote:
Quote:
[...]I guess GIFs are much smaller than JPEGs?[...]
Depends: for a simple graphic, a GIF will be smaller, for a full color photo a JPEG will be smaller. Besides GIFs only supportmax. 256 colors since they are paletted. Youcan "save to web" with JPEG.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 3:08 AM   #6
E.T

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
Your avatar needs to be less than 200x200 pixels.¬* At that resolution¬*a JPEG file should easily fit in under 15K, even with a reasonable JPEG quality.
Yep, and every good photo editor shoudl hae some kind "JPEG optimizer" which lets you adjsut compression setting and it shows size of image with that compression and preview screeen showing how much quality degrades with that setting".

To put itsimply GIF is for simple "presentation" graphics with few colors and big areas with same color while JPEG is for photographs/timages with lot of colors and colorslides. (which naturally doesn't have big areas of same color)
E.T is offline   Reply With Quote