Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:34 PM   #1

Hi there. I just got a new Canon Powershot A520 for Xmas. My question is, can I burn AVI files(movies) to a CDR, to view on a DVD player? Or do the .avi files have to be converted to some other form? I can burn pictures to a CDR disc, and then view them with my DVD player. I'm not talking about a DVD-r, but just plain old CDRs. Thanks in advance!
ajchatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2006, 9:30 PM   #2

I used to be able to burn S-VCD,s using "Pinnacle Studep 8" v8.8, these will play in most dvd players but are only VHS quality.

The problem I have now is the avi,s my new Polaroid digital makes which are 640x480, Studeo 8 will not reconize, but older avi's like my older camera makes work fine.

Of course I use a real camcorder mini Dv tapes for good stuff and use the digicam for toying around, nice feature but not for anything serious.

Try the Studio 8 or 9 if that is what you want to do.

Just my 7 cents. :-)

WiredBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:08 AM   #3

Your best bet for playing on a DVD would be to burn the video as an MPEG file. This format is always supported by DVD players as far as I know. The more common problem is that many DVD players can't read CD-Rs at all. It is a physical problem -- the dimples made by the burner are too big and irregular for the DVD player to read reliably. I have such a DVD player (admittedly, it's on the old side). It will read commercially-produced CDs, but not any that I burn at home. The problem is the medium, not the format.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:56 AM   #4

I thought it would be the format, not whether or not you use a CDR or DVD that would cause problems reading on DVD players.

I know that an issueexists with DVD players reading CDRW's.

As long as the format fits on the CDR, it should be fine.

This has been my experience for the last 3-4 years of making VCD's SVCD's& MVCD's anyway.

5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:50 PM   #5

5hane wrote:
Quote:
I thought it would be the format, not whether or not you use a CDR or DVD that would cause problems reading on DVD players.

I know that an issueexists with DVD players reading CDRW's.

As long as the format fits on the CDR, it should be fine.

This has been my experience for the last 3-4 years of making VCD's SVCD's& MVCD's anyway.

Actually, the problem with the CDR medium was well-documented, and often raised a few years ago. At that time, it was standard for DVD players to use a blue laser for the DVD. Those that could reliably read CDRs had a second laser that was red, which has a longer wavelength and is less sensitive to inhomogeneities in the CD dimples.

I don't know whether the wavelength for DVD lasers has changed in recent years, whether they all have two lasers, or if there is some other reason why the problem appears to have subsided with new equipment. But it really was a problem with being able to physically read the medium.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 12:15 PM   #6

Fair enough, probably equipment earlier than minewhich is about 4 years old.
5hane is offline   Reply With Quote