Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 27, 2006, 11:36 AM   #11

It's not a contradiction. As you increase the IS0 (from 100 to 200 to 400 etc), what you are doing is increasing the camera's sensitivity to light. The camera will thus not need as fast a shutter speed for any given aperature to achieve the correct exposure. In lower light (or to freeze action better) you need this added sensitivity to get the exposure. Unfortunately, higher ISO's result in more noise...noise can often be cleaned up with noise reduction software (neat image, noise ninja). A noisy shot is better than no shot at all!!!
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2006, 1:24 PM   #12

also note that on quite a few cameras with an auto setting, the camera will not go up to the highest ISO setting it has but has osme range that it will stay in 50 - 200. Even the camera know that on prosumer cameras ISO 400 looks like junk
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:15 AM   #13

Cheersyou two.

I didnt wish to sound rude saying "controdiction", im still learning.

The white pages suggest not using AUTO ISO, but do you think this will be a safe setting whilest I am learning?

5hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2006, 4:07 PM   #14

As your learning, its best to keep things simple. I haven't read the "white pages" you refer to...I assume its someone's opinion as to how to get the most out of your camera. As such, remember, its just somone's opinion and what works best for them. Learn how to manage shutter speed and aperature...once you get this down, adding ISO to the mix just gives you a little more control.

Also, there's no shame in using the camera in completely auto mode...that's what it was designed for, and from my experience, many camera's do very well in full auto...I occasionally use auto mode on all my cameras (yes even my DSLR!!). In fact, I almost never use the camera in full manual..I typically shoot in Aperature or Shutter priority depending on the situation. I only use full manual if I'm using studio strobes, in a very difficult shooting situation, or want to usea very specific technique. Using the auto mode will allow you to learn a little about exposure and how the camera works, and you may find the auto mode is all you'll ever need. The goal is to take good pics, and if auto does the trick for you, use it!!

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 3:19 AM   #15

Thanks rjseeney

You said everything I wanted to hear :-)

As it happens Iam focusing on the shutter speed and aperature more than anything else.

Ill stick theISO on AUTO for now.
5hane is offline   Reply With Quote