Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:00 AM   #11

I have an FZ20 and a DMC-FX9 Panasonic cameras and have absoluely no problem with red-eye...I have had a Canon SD550 and some others that were absolutely horrible with red-eye....I would think the FZ5 would work similar to the FZ20.
bobbybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:08 AM   #12

Bobbybaby, I hope you're right. I ordered the FZ5 yesterday and if it doesn't produce red-eye I would be delighted!¬*
tech challenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 10:12 AM   #13

I think you will be very happy with your choice....good luck...I love both my Panasonic cameras.....I just got the FZ9...
bobbybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:47 AM   #14

Red eye camera settings will not work with blue eyed babies and it does not seem to matter what camera you use. There have been a number of postings on this topic. I went to a small off camera slave flash with my Sony W-1 and blocked most of the on camera flash with my finger. You also can try available light (no flash) and push the +/- up on the + side.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 5:59 AM   #15

Fpr a listing of the other posts do a search for: red eye
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:37 AM   #16

normc¬* ¬*"You also can try available light (no flash)¬* and push the +/- up on the + side." ¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*¬* ¬*What do you mean? Do you mean the exposure +/-?¬* Thanks, some people have said it's not the color of the eye, but I beg to differ. I have many photos of many people and I always have to fix my blue eyed kids eyes and rarely need to fix others with other colored eyes.
tech challenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:25 PM   #17

EV OR +/- is exposer compensation. On many cameras you will see an increase or decrease in the brightness of the LCD. If your camera also has a focus assist lamp, which will go a long way to help the focus, it can be very effective. You can then usually brighten the image some more with you editor on the computer. Without the lamp cameras have to have a very good contrast detection system to focus well in low light but the increas in EV will still help. Having some whites in the frame you are shooting will also help as weill as refelecting some light with a white card..

Many cameras use a pre-flash for focus and another for red-eye reduction an d still another to take the photo. If your camera is on auto you will not have control over this. I use the Sony Slave Flash HVL-FSL1B. It is very compact. The bracket will go on almost any camera tripod mount. I often remove the flash unit from this bracket and put it into another pocket as it is less than 1/2 the size of my Sony W-7. The unit has three power settings and is very effective placed almost anywhere in the room. Just remeber to maskout most, but not all, of the on camera flash.

I am the proud grandfather of a wonderful "BLUE EYE" grandaughter. I posted the BLUE EYE/ANY OTHER COLOR EYE PROBLEM just as you have. The response was amazing. The red eye settings on all of the cameras simply DO NOT WORK on blue eyed kids especially babies. No one could explain why? You get answers like: YUP, YEAH, HUH and so on.

Many of the red eye editing programs are time consuming and far from perfect so having a good flash approach if you have blue eyed kid is a must.....good luck.