Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:46 AM   #1

My photos of my blue eyed children have always had a lot of problem with red eye. My youngest won't even be looking towards the camera and will have it. I plan on purchasing the Panasonic FZ5 and hope it may be better. Does anyone have a suggestion of a fix? I do use software to correct the problem, though it's tiresome and often when it's a close-up shot and the pupil is large, the result is not good, almost reflective and sometimes colorless or gray. Please help, is there a good diffuser to use or an external flash. Since the FZ5's flash is a manual popup I can't imagine a diffuser that would attach. Help, and thank you!
tech challenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2006, 2:36 PM   #2

The FZ20 should be pretty close to the FZ5 in price, and the FZ20 has a hot shoe for external flash. I would suggest you may want to opt for that instead of the FZ5. I have never heard of anyone having a problem with red eye using an external flash.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:54 PM   #3

Red eye - is produced when the flash, and eye are on the same plain. The retina in the eye catches the light from the flash, and reflects it back through the thousands of tiny blood vessels in the eye. Thus the red coloring.

There are several ways to dodge this effect. 1 - get closer, take mostly head shot portraits. 2 - use external flash, that is not in line with the subjects eyes. 3 - use natural light with no flash.

There is always the down, and dirtiest way, use the red eye correction in your photo editor to remove it.

Above all never use the red eye reduction,pop-pop-pop, flash on your camera. This exerts cruel, and unnecessary punishment on your pitiful subject. :-)
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 4:10 PM   #4

(Def: red-eye specials ...most cameras with a flash close to the lens).

Knowing that red eye is caused when the flash is close to the lens and the flash's lightreflects off of the retina of a wide open eye and back into the lens allows for the easiest solution: get the flash as far away from the lens as possible.

Hence an external flash is a good option if you have a connection point like a hotshoe or a propriatary connector and the brand-specific flash.

Some more tips: http://www.ehow.com/how_969_avoid-photo-red.html

I personally do not like the multi-flash-strobing pre-flash red eye reduction method of many digital cameras. It forces the pupil to get small and therefore mean/cold-looking, but does reduce or eliminate red eye.

To me, and MANY others, large pupils imply an intimacy, closeness, sensuality, etc. so I almost always carry and use a hot-shoe orhandle mount flash (depending on the camera), and often use bounce flash. The built-in flash is nicewhen the external oneis not handy,butlaterPhotoShop's red eye tool gets to prove itself once again!

hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:25 PM   #5

You might have to be a Father to appreciate this, but I liked the I don't believe you are going to do this look I got.

Anyway this is an example of right in your face flash - No RedEye.

Attached Images

Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:29 PM   #6

Wow Steve40,What camera and flash is that taken with?
Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:39 PM   #7

tech challenged wrote:
Quote:
Wow Steve40,What camera and flash is that taken with?
You might not want to believe it, but it was a lowly little Fuji A-205. This little camera has amazing flash outputcontroll, and can produce photos far beyond it's price range - to bad they only made it one year. The flash is on the camera, just to the left, and above the lens.

It was a Fuji come-on,marketed as the first under $200camera with real optical zoom. They went all out on this one, including putting in their Super CCD. :-)
Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:03 PM   #8

home-made no cost diffuser:

get a white translucent 35mm film 'can'

cut a slot in the side so that it fits over the flash when popped up

done
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:42 PM   #9

bernabeu,* That's a very interesting idea... now if I can just dig up a translucent film canister... oh yes, from my dear hubby, he still is a film freak, can't get him to convert.* Thanks, don't know if it will stay on, but it's worth a try!
Old Jan 6, 2006, 7:17 PM   #10

I`ve taken numerous people flashpics with my Panasonic FZ20, using the "red-eye" reduction mode, and if you tell the person before hand about the pre exposure flash, most don`t seem to mind. It`s just my personal opinion, but the wide open iris look seems almost as spooky as the "devil eyes" look. The pre flash does indeed help constrict the pupils, which increases the amont of eye color exposed.

I also now use a "L" bracket with a slave flash, which eleavates and moves the exposure strobe away from the lense plane. I can set the slave flash to ignore the red eye reduction preflash, and this set upgreatly helps to eliminate red eye. I used a 35mm camera body and lense, along with the slave,in the below pic, because the pop up flash design is very much simular to my `20, which was being used to take the pic.

S`later, JH :G
Attached Images

John H is offline   Reply With Quote