Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:11 PM   #1

Could any one tell me of any good websites to keep my digital photos online for free...

Thanks!
sachinkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2006, 3:38 PM   #2

Depends on what you really want to do with them. Are you planning on storing original sized files for archival purposes? If so, I doubt theres any place that will let you do that for free. Why would they? There are plenty of 'share' sites that are free but they usually don't allow access to 'original' size files and often they have a limit on the amount of disk space you can use. There are some pay sites that will allow you to store and access original sized files. Smugmug for one allows you to use unlimitted disk space as long as each file is less than 8 meg I think and it must be a JPEG file (as opposed to RAW or TIFF). But Smugmug costs about $30 a year.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:39 PM   #3

thanks for ur reply..

i want some free sharing sites....not the yahoo one..the quality is very bad...

could you help me out..

Thanks
sachinkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 1:43 PM   #4

Besides yahoo, snapfish is another free site. To be honest, that's why I decided to pay $30 a year with Smugmug - that way people can see larger versions and aren't looking at poor quality reductions. I also don't like sites that force you to set up an account just so you can view someone elses photos. Also the smugmug or pbases of the world allow you to link directly to a picture so you can post on sites like this. So, besides the snapfish (which a friend of mine uses) and yahoo I don't know of any other free sites.

If you do end up opting to give smugmug a try, the following code will give you $5 off your first year (I get a referal bonus as well for $10 - every member of smugmug gets one of these codes). By all means you don't have to join and don't have to use my code if you do:

dE6BAUtrgu2DU

Take a look at snapfish if you still want a free site and see how that works for you.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2006, 4:30 PM   #5

I like Photobucket.com. It's free, you can post your images anywhere, and you can store as many images as you like with file sizes up to 512k.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:18 PM   #6

I've had good luck with Snapfish.
tmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 11:12 PM   #7

sachinkumar wrote:
Quote:
Could any one tell me of any good websites to keep my digital photos online for free...

Thanks!
Try out this online storage service, it is fast and reliable. It has an image gallery option when clicked on it will generate thumbnail view of the images in a particular folder. You can also share any number of files or folders with your friends or business clients with password protection.
hannah_jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:26 AM   #8

I've used imageevent for over 4 years now. I pay 24 a year, but it's sooo worth it.

You can check mine out here.. The 'guest' version won't show all photos, but most. I have lots of my stuff passworded.

http://www.imageevent.com/vwmom
vwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 12:57 AM   #9

I also use http://www.photobucket.com as a site to hold photos for linking to other sites. Very easy interface for uploading, quite a bit of space for free.

Olympus E-300 + ED 50mm macro, 1/125s @ f3.5 (ISO 200)

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 4:33 AM   #10

http://imageshack.us/index.php

maximum image size: 1024 kilobytes no limit to the amount stored.
Mark47 is offline   Reply With Quote