Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 15, 2003, 2:34 AM   #21

As I've seen this problem with many digicams and not yet seen this with small pocketable 35mm or throwaways, I'm suspecting it also has something to do with the fact we are using 6 - 7 mm lenses which are capable of tremendous depth of field. I don't get them when at the tele end of the zoom (36mm). One seldom uses as small a focal length with 35mm unless you're a pro and using external lighting, as there aren't too many flashes that would illuminate the full width of the picture. The widest lens I've used on 35mm is a Sigma 18mm and my flash only covers a 28mm field of vision. Therefore the shortest 35mm focal length I've used with flash is 28mm.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2003, 1:02 PM   #22

i am going to try this experiment with my camera. I will post a few pictures soon, i think it is suppose to snow today so i will do some night photos
kschewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2003, 9:12 PM   #23

I've taken daytime pictures with flash outdoors during a snowfall and had the closest flakes reflect the flash (using a Finepix 1300).
Old Mar 16, 2003, 11:08 PM   #24

In Winnipeg tonight the weather is nice and misty -1 celcius or 30F. I had no luck reproducing the aliens. Anyhow now that I notice them i been seeing them in other peoples digital camera pictures also, some very faint. I never noticed them in film pictures but like one guy said, we take many more pictures with digital cameras. If anyone is intrested in seeing the pics i took I will post them on pbase
Old Mar 17, 2003, 12:50 AM   #25

In my post near the beginning of this thread, the Fuji link showed a sample flash shot with several "blobs" in it, and explains how it happens.

http://home.fujifilm.com/products/di...ing/flash.html
Old Mar 17, 2003, 6:25 PM   #26

Quote:
I'm suspecting it also has something to do with the fact we are using 6 - 7 mm lenses which are capable of tremendous depth of field. I don't get them when at the tele end of the zoom (36mm).

I would agree with that, maybe during dusty or similar conditions it would be best to zoom in a bit
Old Mar 18, 2003, 4:54 AM   #27

Until I read these posts, I couldn't explain why first time use of Fuji's WCON wide adaptor on my 602 produced similar spots (Bright sunny day BUT no flash).

The annoying thing is you are hard pressed to see them on the camera display, It's when you get back to your pc that you have to sort this out.

So I'm sure the lens angle and DOF could be a factor, and in my case, flash was not the problem. The sunlight was to my right, out of shot but possibly too close. I wouldn't have thought about the issue with an slr at the same location. My next move is to try using a hood.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote