Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2006, 6:03 PM   #1

Hello Gents. Im just about ready to order my DC. (Chosing one hasbeen a nightmare in itself.):OLast one I bought was about 5 years ago...Anyway, the place I decided to go with has 2diffrent package deals. The only diffrence is the memory card. The cost for package one is $602.99 with a 512mb card and package 2 is $627.99 with a 1 GB card. Im I better off gettingpackage 2 with the1 GB for $25.00 more? (If it matters, its a Dane-Elec1 GB SECURE DIGITAL card.)Im not up to par when it comes to this stuff. I never upgraded the card in my old camera and it came with a 4mb card.....:-)I guess thats not much...*LOL*

Thanks for your help.
Cwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:39 PM   #2

Hi, Cwood! I can't really answer your question because there's a bit of subjectivity involved. I will offer an opinion, though.

Twenty-five bucks isn't bad for the extra memory, and it's better to have more memory and never use it than to have less memory and suddenly find yourself needing more.
Many photographers recommend carrying several smaller cards as opposed to one big card, the logic being that if something goes wrong with a memory card, you won't lose everything. I'm pretty sure that you can find a 512MB SD card nowadays for $25.00 if you do a little looking.

There is even an on-going controversy that says that smaller cards write faster than larger cards. Even if this were true, would you notice the speed difference with the camera you have? Who knows?

Can your camera take advantage of high speed cards? Not likely for a sub-$600.00 camera, but you should be able to find out easy enough from the published literature and reviews of the camera. If it can, you may want to put that extra $25.00 towards a faster card than the one in the package deal.

Just some thoughts....

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:48 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I'll check into a faster card.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:26 AM   #4

One other piece of advice. You mentioned ordering a camera. I'm going to assume this is from an online etailer and not a brick and mortar store then. My suggestion is to stay away from package deals - this is how the online etailers make their money back - accessories and packages. In most cases, those accessories can be bought somewhere else for less money than the package being offered. Or, the components of the 'package' are of poor quality. Out of curiosity, what camera are you buying, from what etailer and what is in the package?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:11 PM   #5

Im looking to get the PanasonicLumix DMC-FZ30K for $548.00. For $602.99 you get:

Dane 512MB SECURE DIGITAL {SD} MEMORY CARD

DigPro Deluxe SLR Holster Case - DP4000

Sakar 3pc. Lens Cleaning Kit

I figured for $50.00 its was worth getting the memory and case. What do you think? I plan on ordering from Beach Cameraand they offer the free shipping.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:27 PM   #6

The price isn't too bad on the accessory package. But the most concerning thing to me is the DaneElect SD card. That is a pretty low end card. I try to stick with Sandisk or Lexar. Other decent card manufacturers are Transcend and Kingston. I've used Sandisk and Lexar cards for 5 years or so and never had a problem.

I can't say Dane Elect will have a problem or not as I've never owned one. Sorry I can't give you better advice on this one.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:31 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply. Anybody here use a DaneElect SD card? Maybe I'll start a new post if I cant find anything after I do a search.

Thanks again....
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:35 PM   #8

Found a post where they said that the Dane SD cards are made by Toshiba:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...t=Dane+sd+card

So, I guess its a good card....(I hope.)