Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2006, 7:14 PM   #1

Hi, this is my first time to this site and I'm hoping somebody can answer this...I have a EOS 350D and have been using an HP945. I mainly shoot birds and one bald eagle in particular. The problem I am having is this, with the HP945 I was shooting shutter priorityup close (3'-6')at 1/1500 to 1/1750 with the flash on and getting super sharp with gooddepth of field and definition in the feathers. I now have the canon 350D and whenI use shutter priority the camera won't go any faster than 1/200 with the flash. Does anyone one know how to get around this? I have tried aperture priority but it doesn't repond like I want. I have older lenses, canon IS 75-300 and a tamaron macro 90mm.

Thanks

Scruff

scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2006, 9:38 PM   #2

Go here: http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/#faq7

It basically has to do with some limitations due to using flash in certain shooting modes, if I'm not mistaken.

This answer isn't perfect, and I have no idea how good that link is, but it does touch on the basic issue you are having.

Hope it helps.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 11:11 PM   #3

You need to enable high speed sync. You can only do that with an external flash.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 2:24 AM   #4

But doesn't syncronisation work up to 1/200 only? Have had this problem too. Thanks.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 7:32 AM   #5

Aumma45 wrote:
Quote:
But doesn't syncronisation work up to 1/200 only? Have had this problem too. Thanks.
The camera itself is only able to do 1/200. That is what Eric is refering to - you need an external flash cpabale of high-speed synch mode. With that mode enabled, the flash will work with higher shutter speeds. The trade-off is you lose a decent amount of range. But, with the ranges you specified that shouldn't be an issue. The flash operates a little differently than normal in this mode - using pulses of light rather than just one firing. But, the important thing is - that is the solution to your problem. There is no way to enable high speed sync with the on-board flash.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 1:37 PM   #6

Thank you all.

scruff
scruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 4:53 PM   #7

Hi
What I know, light from flash lasts about 1/10000 s, so there is no difference if shooter is set to 1/200 or 1/2000, flash fire when the shooter is opened fully. Also, there is some mechanically restrictions to use speed higher then 1/200 to activate the flash. Maybe it can effect if there is lot of natuer light. I hope it helps.

emes is offline   Reply With Quote