Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:15 PM   #1

Default Slow Camera Revisited

I appriciate those of you who took the time to advise me, in the past.

I have a couple of more questions on the "slow camera" subject:
I'm considering Sony DSC-V1 as an additional camera to my Coolpix 950. I need a digital camera that I can use to take distant inside photos of my kids on a school stage and other low light, beyond flash situations. I would like to have a camera that will take a photo after clicking the shutter within 2 or 3 seconds.
Most of my photos will be cropped and blown up to 8' by 10'.
I do not need a profesional camera. Looking at camera spec sheets the only referance I can see to low light capability is ISO and in the case of the Sony DSC-V1 that is up to 800 plus the focus is laser assisted which should help with my low light out of focus problems. I don't see anything in spec sheets that refers to how long it takes the camera to get setup for the next photo.
TIA
flynez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:18 PM   #2

Woops 8 x 10"(inches) not ' (feet) :roll:
Old Mar 10, 2003, 9:34 PM   #3

Default Re: Slow Camera Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynez
... low light capability is ISO and in the case of the Sony DSC-V1 that is up to 800 plus the focus is laser assisted which should help with my low light out of focus problems....
I don't know that specific camera, but the highest ISO, and often the next highest, are normally useless for anything but fairly small pictures or for the web. There doesn't seem to be any kind of solid standard to determine how the highest ISO is determined. Take a carefull look at the detailed reviews for the amount of noise the camera produces. That is very closely related to the highest useable ISO

Also take a carefull look at the range of the low light focus assist. Often that doesn't reach much beyond the range of the puny built-in flash, something like 10 (maybe 20) feet.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2003, 10:47 PM   #4

Default Re: Slow Camera Revisited

Thanks to you I am starting to get it. Looks like the low light focus is only good out to less than 14 feet. I'll be looking at the noise specs too. Thanks

Also take a carefull look at the range of the low light focus assist. Often that doesn't reach much beyond the range of the puny built-in flash, something like 10 (maybe 20) feet.[/quote]
Old Mar 11, 2003, 1:46 AM   #5

Default Suggestion?

I use a Olympus C-2100 UZ with the FL40 flash for those situtations because the flash will zoom with the 10x lens when I frame the shot. Getting good available light photos with fast recyle times is really tough to do especially if there is any kind of movement. I would look into the flash and camera combinations on the cameras you are looking at.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote