Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:41 PM   #1

Hello,

Anyone know what the 'child' exposure mode does in the Nikon D50? I'm trying to decide between buying the D50 or D70 and since I'll be taking lots of pictures of my children, the 'child' mode interests me very much but there is no explanation of what it does in the description. Also, it is not mentioned at all in the description for the D70. Does anyone know why it is left out of the programs for the D70?

Basically the D50 has - AUTO, PORTRAIT, LANDSCAPE, CHILD, SPORTS, CLOSE UP and NIGHT PORTRAIT programs and the D70 has- AUTO, PORTRAIT, LANDCAPE, CLOSE UP, SPORTS, NIGHT LANDSCAPE AND NIGHT PORTRAIT

Any help would be great!

Auggie
Auggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:18 AM   #2

The various modes on the camera do nothing that you cannot set yourself using the menus and the PSAM modes. I have a D70 and have never used anything other than P and M modes. As you say there is no child mode on the D70 or the D70s. I have no idea why Nikon chose to add this mode to the D50 and not the D70 except that the D50 is a more entry level camera and the modes allow a novice user to take pictures without needing to fully understand the camera.

I found this description of the child mode 'Use for snapshots of children. Clothing and background details are vividly rendered while
skin tones remain soft and natural.
• Camera selects focus area containing subject closest to camera.'

Auto FocusAF-S closest subject, image optimisation portrait and probably setting a wide aperture (small F number) via the P or A modes, this would give a sharp subject and an out of focus background, with a fast shutter speed. The alternative is a small aperture (large f number) and a slower shutter speed to give a foreground and background in focus.

Ken
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:32 AM   #3

Thanks Ken, appreciate your reply.

Auggie
Auggie is offline   Reply With Quote