Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2006, 3:48 PM   #1

Can someone explain the 'rule of thirds' when composing a shot?

Thanks

Auggie
Auggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2006, 4:07 PM   #2

I'll comment on it loosely, the following links say more:

Check out:
http://www.silverlight.co.uk/tutoria...se/thirds.html

and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

or other web pages if you search in google for "rule of thirds".

Basically, it is a rule of thumb about how you should compose a picture. It is often true (but not always) that centering your subject in your image does not produce as appealing an image then if you offset the subject to 1/3 of the way in from both the top/bottom and left/right (this produces 4 locations where the subject could be put for a more appealing composition.)

You can try this with various crops of the same image. Crop the image so the subject is in the middle and then crop it so the subject is off-center. Often, but not always, this produces a more appealing image.

There are example images in both those links above.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 2:22 AM   #3

Thanks for your help Eric, I'll check out those sites...

Auggie
Old Jan 10, 2006, 3:19 AM   #4

Auggie wrote:
Quote:
Can someone explain the 'rule of thirds' when composing a shot?
Auggie, I don't know you or your situation, so I don't want to be over critical, and Eric has already given you some urls, but I can't help but wonder, why didn't you google for this before coming here? If you put the question "what is the rule of thirds" into google, you'll find lots of good replies. The same goes for lots of other basic information about photography (and virtually anything else, for that matter).

My advice to all beginners is: Google first, then if you still don't understand something, ask for human help.

Best wishes.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2006, 9:43 AM   #5

Hi Norm,

Normally I would have googled but my 'situation' is that I'm taking care of2 month old twins, time isvery precious and even though technology is great, the 'human' way is more direct and efficient sometimes...

Best wishes

Auggie
Old Jan 10, 2006, 1:26 PM   #6
DBB

Auggie wrote:
Quote:
Hi Norm,

Normally I would have googled but my 'situation' is that I'm taking care of 2 month old twins, time is very precious and even though technology is great, the 'human' way is more direct and efficient sometimes...

Best wishes

Auggie
Who knows, maybe he came here because this is a photographic forum? Nobody is forcing anyone to respond - but if help is needed I think this is the place to go to FIRST!

In addition - many others simply have no idea that there IS a rule of Thirds - so that those who viewed this thread are now educated to the inherent possibilities. Not everyone knows enough to even know the right question.

With all due respect - really - not everyone is an educated layperson, let alone a pro.

I have no problems with him asking it here....

:G

Dave
DBB is offline   Reply With Quote