some useful info for all the aspiring photogs out there

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...era-laws_x.htm

VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2006, 7:23 PM   #2

Thanks for the lead; good stuff.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2006, 8:10 PM   #3

Wish it was as simple as that here in the UK.
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 2:02 PM   #4

Good article. It clears up a lot of questions that new photographers always have.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2006, 10:25 AM   #5

Good article, but I wish I could find a bit more info on the following: if anyone knows of a place that would provide some additional info that would be great.

This all started so simply. Just shooting my kids at football, baseball and now basketball. My equipment lends itself to some nice shots. Lets face it, most parents don't show up to a game with a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS lens on their camera. Many parents started asking me if they could purchase some of the shots. This got a little crazy emailing to see what they wanted etc... So I put up a web site.

The recreational association (parents that manage the rec teams) had a couple of "complaints" about me taking photo's. Most of the parents LOVE it. I charge such a small amount for great shots to cover paper and ink costs with very little extra.

My spin on this after checking out the sites you posted is this:

1. The schools can be considered "private" but they allow photo's of the games. So
unless the stop all photo taking I should be okay.

2. The director of the league is concerned that I post images of minors. To this end
I now password protect the galleries, require folks to email me a request for the
password. All images are copyright, have a copyright logo on them. A message
indicates that by asking for the password they allow me to post images on the
site of there kid.Another message says no one can copy, edit, upload
etc...images
The site won't allow a copy of the images in the normal "right click" save method
although you can do a print screen. (My watermark is on the image though).

3. From reading the articles here, even photographing and putting on a web site
these photo's would be okay since I'm not showing the young athletes in a
bad light, photo's at the location are allowed. And there can be no expectation
of privacy at such a place.

4. Finally, many of these folks are doing the same thing ie... taking some pictures
at the game and loading them for people on a site like snapfish etc...

5. Could I ask all the parents to sign a release form... Sure, but that gets ugly
what do you do with shots of 7 kids, some from other towns or
people in the background. If you only
were allowed to put an image of a kids online that you had a signed release
for, forget about posting many if not most images really.

Anyone have any thoughts or more detailed articles anywhere on this subject?

Thanks,
Joe
jlacasci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 9:27 PM   #6

My question concerns venues that prohibit photograph. For example just this evening my fiance and I saw David Copperfield at the Fox Theater in Atlanta, GA. Large signs were posted outside saying Photography, Videography, and Audio recordings were prohibited. Now I can assume they could ask you to leave if you took shots, but under what premise (refusing anyone service for any reason i guess)? Would they be required to refund your ticket/entry price (seems so, but would probably be hard to collect)? Could they confiscate film/digital media (i'm guessing not)?
Stephen Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2006, 9:43 PM   #7

Stephen Hopkins wrote:
Quote:
My question concerns venues that prohibit photograph. For example just this evening my fiance and I saw David Copperfield at the Fox Theater in Atlanta, GA. Large signs were posted outside saying Photography, Videography, and Audio recordings were prohibited. Now I can assume they could ask you to leave if you took shots, but under what premise (refusing anyone service for any reason i guess)? Would they be required to refund your ticket/entry price (seems so, but would probably be hard to collect)? Could they confiscate film/digital media (i'm guessing not)?
Concerts and shows consist of copyrighted material. Pictures, videos, and audio recordings are theft of that material. I think each State has it's own laws regarding remedies, but if you enter with the intention to steal, don't expect a refund.

Confiscation of your property would not generally be allowed, but they may be within their rights to require you to erase any media you have with you.

Obviously, this is not legal advice, as I am Not an attorney.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 3:10 PM   #8
B-H

You guys should check out this link, it's really useful:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=53225
B-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:40 PM   #9

Thanks for posting this. Years ago, I had a run-in with the manager of a body shop. I was a college student at the time, and was taking a photography class. I was shooting what I hoped would be an artsy photograph of a fire hydrant across the street from this body shop, and the guy drove his truck up to the curb in front of me, slammed on his brakes, jumped out and demanded that I hand over my camera. I explained what I was doing, but he didn't believe me. I eventually got so angry that I told him to F*** off, (confrontation is usually not my style) and he backed down, fortunately. Turns out that I was well within my rights, even if I had been photographing his building.
tmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 7:43 PM   #10

Here are some simple "rules of thumb" respectfully suggested:

Call it the "novice photographer's code of conduct."

1. Do not shoot photos of children you do not know. Period.

2. Even if you know the children, ask their parents first.

3. Do not publish in print/on web any photos of minors.

4. If you have to wonder if it is "ok", it isn't!

5. Do not take "candids" of anyone then publish them on print or on the web. Though"candids" have been publishedon this forum, it is, in opinion, not anice or even wise thing to do.

If do you point a camera at a stranger, especially a minor, and takea photo you can be viewed as threat and should be.

We live in the times that we do. We need to be vigilant.

Personally, though I am not a parent, if I ever sawa strangerwith a lens on one of my minor nieces or nephews, I would immediately confront the subject with the lens.

Here is what I would do and say:

"Who are you?" I would ask.

"Show me your ID." I would demand.

"Delete the photo(s)". I would demand.

"You will be reported to law enforcement."

No, I would not be concerned at all about a stranger's "right" to shoot a photo of a minor member of my family. Fuggetaboutit!!!

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote