Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 12, 2003, 5:26 AM   #1

Default FUJIFILM FINEPIX F401

I've recently bought the Fuji FinePix 401. I was suprised to find out that the software is not compatible with Windows NT??!!

Let's face it mosy of one's "downloading" is done at work because of the speed.

Can anyone tell me what I can do in order to get pictures off my camera while at work on Windows NT??

Many thanks. :?
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 12, 2003, 5:44 AM   #2

I'm not a NT user, use Win2k occasionally. As far as I know, the Fuji software is not required as long as your OS supports USB and remote drives. Most of the stuff like Albums and file renaming can be done better by other packages. Minimum you need is to see the cam as a remote drive and be able to copy files across to open in your work resident JPG viewer/editor. A bit like installing a second hard drive.

Without installing the Fuji stuff, plug your cam in and see if it's recognised as a new plug and play device, or do a manual install. The minimum you might need off the Fuji cd is the .inf usb driver file - I don't know if it still works under NT. I'm not on NT, so please forgive me if this is a load of rubbish and won't work for you!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 6:09 AM   #3

If worse comes to worse, you can see if you can find a card reader that works with your NT operating system. That's the downside of using older OSes...should check if the hardware is compatible with your computer.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 6:46 AM   #4

Default You are hosed

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q196661

Windows NT 4 does not support USB.

I don't know where you'd be able to get a card reader that could be used with NT.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 5:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Windows NT 4 does not support USB.
I warned you my post might be rubbish! Try some Googling. This might be rubbish as well:

http://www.geocities.com/mypublic99/index.html

I understand the work prob. Perhaps they could think about Win2K?
Old Mar 12, 2003, 6:06 PM   #6

As Lauren said--WinNT does not support USB.

Companies used to make parallel-port card readers, but lately (within the past year or so) they are becoming more and more scarce.
Hyun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 6:37 PM   #7

First off I guess the motherboard needs connectors, the guy at Geocities says this, but don't know what it means:

Features:
1. support uhci usb controller
2. support usb1.1 compliant hubs.
3. support usb1.1 compliant usb devices.

Download and Try:

VOX
Old Mar 12, 2003, 8:19 PM   #8

Default Re: FUJIFILM FINEPIX F401

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy
Let's face it mosy of one's "downloading" is done at work because of the speed.

Can anyone tell me what I can do in order to get pictures off my camera while at work on Windows NT??
The speed of USB doesn't change with the OS...it's a fixed speed. The only difference was if you had USB2.0 at work, but it's most likely the camera only supports the USB1.1 standard which means it would still load at the same speed. Again of course since NT doesn't support USB all this is moot.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 9:35 PM   #9

I took the speed issue to mean the internet uplink speed rather than the USB download speed.

It's obviously not an issue at home if you've got broadband, but on a 56K (or less!) dial up modem uploading pictures to the web is painfully slow.

A little searching in Google turns up a few USB drivers for WinNT 4, but nothing that looks like it fits the bill.

If you've got a laptop at work you could probably find yourself a Smart Media -> PC Card (formerly known as PCMCIA cards) adapter and download the pics directly to the hard drive via the PC Card slot. This should work on NT 4.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote