Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 13, 2003, 3:10 PM   #11

An old 1.2Mpix cam running uncompressed with 2000maH Nimh batteries, larger media, a laser pointer and a 1Ghz+ pc, can give an old blind man a new edge!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2003, 4:21 PM   #12

Not all of us are rich, $300 for a digital camera is a lot of cash to me, if I had big bucks I would not be using a 2mp camera.
I use my camera for family shots and vacations, heck even my Sanyo 850k pixel camera takes good photos on most things.
I consider "toy" cameras any digital camera that has 480x640 or less, like my Pencam.
I am happy with my all cameras.

Bill
Bill Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 12:14 AM   #13

What is your idea of a good camera for a reasonable price? I would be interested to hear (and by reasonable, i mean about 400-450 tops). Also, what are your opinions about the canon a70 and how does it stack up to the competition. Finally, anyone out there know if the oly c4000 can use the crystalvue optics 8* lens?
ardvark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 2:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark50
What is your idea of a good camera for a reasonable price? I would be interested to hear (and by reasonable, i mean about 400-450 tops). Also, what are your opinions about the canon a70 and how does it stack up to the competition. Finally, anyone out there know if the oly c4000 can use the crystalvue optics 8* lens?
The issue is (as it always is) good for what? For some people they want a pocketable camera. For me, it was one of the Olympus 10x zoom C-7x0 cameras. Indoor, outdoor, etc. Some cameras are better with indoors (esp. low light due to having a focus assist beam).

As for the Crystalvue lens, it appears to have a 37mm thread while most of the filter tubes for the C-4000 are 52-55mm...anything less will have vignetting at wider angles (there is 37mm tube available for the 4040 that should also work on the 4000 from 2filter.com, but again there is the vignetting issue). Also, just because you can get the right diameter tube/adapter for a lens doesn't mean it will be compatible...all you can do is test it. BTW here's a link to Steve's review of the lens if you haven't read it already:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/sharpshooter.html
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 9:39 AM   #15

What I would like to see is more competition in quality cameras, striving for low noise, higher iso, higher dynamic range. Instead, all I see is a massive flood of new cameras that all produce the same result: a picture that's great for a small print but useless for anything of "professional quality".
I want to see bold innovation, new levels of performance and a strong persuit of excellence, not just slapping a cheap, old, noisy CCD into a trendy box and trying to make a fast buck.
nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 9:50 AM   #16

Instead of spewing uninformed negativity, why not describe your dream digicam, and the price you would be willing to pay for it? Contrary to what you may think, the vast majority of amateur photographers use their cameras for communication. It's been that way since the first Kodaks. What right have you to dismiss these photographers with judgemental insults? Afterall, they are the ones actually spending money; that's who the manufacturers listen to.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2003, 1:28 PM   #17

I remember many decades ago when one of the photo magazines sent out Henri Cartier-Bresson on the streets of NYC armed with a $10 film camera to prove you don't need megabucks worth of camera equipment to get museum worthy photos. That's also true of digital. But in both camps there are people more concerned about what equipment they use than the artistry in the photos they take. These tend to be those who brag about what they own or those who criticise everything. But as has been said elsewhere, I defend their right to their point of view. I own both 35mms from old manual focus P'n'S to autofocus SLRs and digis from 0.3MP to 2.1MP. I enjoy taking pictures with all of them, within their limitations. Ditto for audio-video equipment, where I use everything from a portable tape player with Koss headphones to a music system with $3300 speakers, and enjoy them all. I do research on equipment as much as possible BEFORE I buy, and try to buy locally where I can try things for up to 14 days and return or exchange them if I'm not satisified.
MentorRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 3:02 PM   #18

Hey Skiola, you are not reading carefully, I'm not insulting photographers. All the cheap cameras are fine for their purpose. I'm saying that I'd like to see a bit more of the quality "hi-end" products... there are so few to choose from. And I also happen to be allergic to high noise levels in my photos. Any sight of noise makes me hop up and down violently until I hurt my head on the ceiling.

ps: and my idea of a good camera would be a nikon 5700 with no noise.
nimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2003, 5:32 PM   #19

:I do think that most photos are 4x6 not 4x7. Now just go out and get you a Fuji pro S2 . That camera is all you will ever need. p.s don't forget to get a few good lens's.
binddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 5:53 PM   #20

Quote:
I do think that most photos are 4x6 not 4x7
Well my Fuji 602 is 1.33:1 aspect which is 4x6.5, and that's an optional size of print I ask for from a Fuji Frontier printer.

Never had to crop a print for family shots yet on a 300dpi print - max pixel to print efficiency!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote